Naughty cockatiels

he probably wants a she. but u could try a shower, spray bottle on mist, at first he will run from it but after he gets a little wet he should start acting like the birds outside when they bath. if ur food is not bad and fresh water is in place try toys or move them around in cage grit, mite protection, cuttle bone. if all in place try towel over cage . something could be scaring him too, like mirror or a movement

I have taken in several stray or unwanted birds over the years. All your suggestions are very good, unfortunately none have worked so far. I took this bird (a male) and a female in originally. I had got them from a guy that wanted to breed them. They did not work out for him for breeding and he became ill and could not care for them. They were both untamed. Spent lots of time trying to tame them. Geno talks and whistles and will get on your hand, but he just will not bond with anyone. This was 6 years ago. I had a friend who was a humane officer and over the next year took in two parakeets, another cockatiel and a love bird. All these birds had issues of one type or another. Geno has always been a screamer. I am now down to just him. Sidney the bird I got with him killed her self two years ago. Geno will scream even when he is covered. Toys - he does not like anything new, which is sometimes an advantage short term cause it shuts him up as he cowers from what ever you put in or on his cage. He will not try any new foods. Tried moving him to different rooms. A month ago we added a mirror in hopes he would bond with himself. No such luck! He so unlike any bird I have ever owned! We have had six years of headaches with him. I have always been really good with animals that no else could handle, but he is the exception. I do not give up easy, but have to say I am ready to throw in the towel. Somethings work for a few days. When our quail eggs hatched a couple of weeks ago he went by the aquarium and he would sit there for hours watching them and he was really good, but that only lasted a few days like anything else we try. Needless to say we are running out of things to try.

btw, i think its great what ur doing
clap.gif

I do know he has some triggers that set him off, like sirens on the TV and crows always get him going, but most of the time we can not figure out why he does it. You would think he would get tired and stop. When we moved this summer we had hoped that would do the trick, but it is about the same only it is worse for us cause we moved to a much smaller place and have no escape. Almost all the animals I have taken in have been strays or needed a home. My cat was wild also. I took her home from my cousins house sevens years ago. She was born from a wild cat on their property. I gained her trust easily however no else could touch her and she would only show up to eat or if I was there, so I finally had to take her home. I was the only person who could handle her until I met my husband, now she likes him better than me so finally had to marry him. Come to think of it, he was a stray too! lol

best kind. my son is autistic and he also has a cat like that. the cat is 14 yrs now and still i fear him.haha he plays that cat like an accordian and spins him in the chairs till the poor thing cant walk but it keeps coming back for more. i can walk past it and it will claw me. go figure. mabey u could take the little bugger outside for a bit? the bird, not the stray.ha

Back
Top Bottom