Naughty hen

samteel

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 11, 2012
One of my five month old pullets has decided to peck open and eat several of the other hens eggs on a daily basis. She stands next to the nesting hen and as soon as the hen leaves the nest she attacks the egg. Any one know a non-lethal cure?

One of my five month old pullets has decided to peck open and eat several of the other hens eggs on a daily basis. She stands next to the nesting hen and as soon as the hen leaves the nest she attacks the egg. Any one know a non-lethal cure?
First off, you might want to increase her protein- offer cooked beef liver, other animal protein sources, even hard boiled mashed eggs. Then, try to discourage the behavior: You could put in some ceramic eggs, hard boiled eggs. You'll have to be extra diligent to get the newly laid eggs out of the nest as soon as the girls leave the box. Can you separate her from the rest of the flock during the "egg laying" hours? Basically, attack the issue from both a dietary and a behavioral stand point. If all else fails, you may need to cull her as she's not likely to change her behavior, and she may start a trend with the other girls.

Totally agree with the previous response. I have learned that many, if not most, chicken behaviors are hard wired into their brains and are a result of individual personalities. You can discourage a behavior by changing the circumstances, but you aren't going to permanently change it.

If you don't want to cull, you could find her another home or keep her in an area of the pen without access to the nest boxes. Or think of something else creative to distract her. Just remember it's only temporary. Bad behaviors almost always return.

Back
Top Bottom