Nazi flock leader eating other chickens' eggs?!

1stepcloser

Poultry In Motion
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Dover, TN
My evil hen (Frieda) is eating the others' eggs now that they are laying!!
somad.gif
Like 3 in the past 4 days!! I have a community laying basket and a couple of areas outside of the coop for them to lay but NOOO everyone wants to lay in the basket that Frieda considers "hers". Suggestions anybody beyond making good on my threat to turn Frieda into a pot of soup??

You could try any of the usual egg-eating remedies (darken boxes, mustard-filled eggs, up the calcium provided), but if the hen has other negative points, well... I'd send her to her own little Nuremberg.

Last edited:
They have oyster shell mixed in with their feed and honestly, she never ate her buddy's eggs. This is a brand new behavior that started with the babies starting to lay.

What is a mustard filled egg?

I've not done it myself (and hope never to have to) but what you do is blow out an egg and re-fill it with mustard in the hopes that when she eats it, she won't like the taste and she'll start to associate that taste with eggs. Some folks say it works, some folks say it doesn't.

What would happen if you isolated her in a coop with several ceramic eggs. She would of course try to eat them but she would fail every time. Could this convince her that eggs are not eatable/food? Then you have the issue with her own egg in that coop that IS eatable... hmmm

I grabbed her and drug her inside with me (OK, fed her cat food and yogurt). Anyhow, all 4 of my babies literally RAN to the community nest to lay their eggs. Poor girls! I wonder how long they have been holding them?
barnie.gif
Freida need congeniality classes or something.

Back
Top Bottom