NBC News Article "Backyard chickens dumped at shelters"

Chickens properly cared for usually lay eggs for as long as they live. Years ago I bought 20 "spent" battery cage hens that would have gone to slaughter in less than a month. Most of them had stopped laying eggs and both times I went there was a pile of dead birds on the floor. All of the hens went back to laying eggs and grew new feathers. The few that were still laying when I got them had weak shelled eggs and after I had them awhile the eggshells got much stronger. All these birds needed was good food,clean water,shelter and the chance to be chickens running around scratching in the dirt catching insects,etc. The stress of being constantly crammed together and being picked on by dominant birds kills a lot of them. I had others that I raised from chicks who layed eggs as long as they lived also. I seriously doubt those nameless vets ever had chickens. My birds always layed eggs while moulting also.
How long do your chickens live?

excerpt from original article in newspaper: "“To go back in time sounds wonderful,” she said. “But there is not enough land on this earth to sustain the amount of meat, dairy and milk that people want.”
he.gif
fl.gif
idunno.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
th.gif
And that just about sums up how I feel about the reality of that statement.
They weren't really serious when they printed that were they?
lau.gif
I do not understand her statement at all. What does it mean ?

It means in her eyes we should be at the Jetson's way of eating! Push a button and viola! Dinner is served! But alas we fail her with brown eggs, that don't come in a shake and bake box
sad.png
Ohhhhhh, I get it. We are backwards.
aaahhhaaaaaa,

The lifespan of a chicken is about 7 to 10 years(except commercial meat chickens) with the oldest recorded at 16 . My oldest was about 10. I have not had any for years. The Glasgow zoo said one of their hens was still laying at 8 and thought the natural lifespan is 12. An article on Silkies said they average 13.

Well, if I have an injured bird or an extra rooster, they get the axe. I already sharpened my hatchet twice this year. Had some mighty fine chicken dishes too. If you can't take care of your bird I will, and if I can't I still will...

It is beyond mind numbing to me how anyone could view clean, happy birds that enjoy fresh air and comfortable living for all of their days until slaughter cruel while choosing to buy birds that are miserable and packed like sardines until being butchered. What do they think happens to those hens that pump out their bland eggs when they even think about slowing down? I just don't get that level of delusion.

I do not understand her statement at all. What does it mean ?

It means they are against people eating any animal products because they think it is bad for the environment (and mean to the animal regardless of how well they are treated). They are not pro factory farm. I went to their Facebook page and they were bragging about getting 200 battery hens. It's just easy to make the factory farm look bad. They decided to start a smear campaign against backyard chickens by claiming that people are irresponsible and abandon them. I think new people can sometimes underestimate the risk of winding up with unwanted roosters and how difficult it can be to get rid of them. It's not nearly as bad as the number of unwanted dogs and cats being abandoned, though.

Well, it shouldn't be a problem for my DH & I when our 4 beloved Buff Orp hatchery birds quit laying, I should first mention they only started 15 days ago, because so far we haven't been able to eat them. I keep thinking of them as the babies. I know, I know.
But my grumpy next door neighbor, who I worried would complain about my chickens , comes out on his porch to watch them and laugh. They aren't cheap and they are messy but they love us and make us happy.
I wouldn't care if they never laid eggs but I did tell a neighbor who wants chickens because she always runs out of eggs to try the grocery store first because chickens aren't the best place to get cheap, plentiful eggs.
Any animal that gains popularity suffers, whether it's cocker spaniels, persian cats, easter bunnies or chickens. Doesn't say a whole lot good about people.

Back
Top Bottom