NC backyarder

toropappa

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2017
Hey everyone, Mark from NC here. We've had three chickens for a few years now. They are pretty much free rangers but most recently have fenced them into a fairly large area. Our chickens are one Dominique and two easter eggers. All three have never really had a routine egg laying spot despite laying boxes. We go on an Easter egg hunt every day. :) It's not really a problem. My question is this. Every time we hard boil the eggs they lay they don't peel very well at all. Any advise?

Welcome to BYC, Mark!
Fresh eggs tend to be a struggle with peeling when compared to the eggs one might be used to from the grocery store because the eggs from the grocery store are several weeks old and older eggs peel more easily. There are several different methods folks report success with (you can search "peeling fresh eggs" here on BYC to find them) but my personal best success comes from steaming rather than boiling the eggs (I do about 12 minutes) and then transferring directly to an ice water bath.

Meant to add - regarding the daily "easter egg hunt" - it is necessary at times to "home" the flock to the use of nest boxes - if you have an attached run for your coop simply confine them for a week or two (you can even just confine until they have laid for the day and then let them out) so that they get well into the habit of using the nest boxes and then they will be more inclined to return to the box each day to lay even while out ranging.

Greetings from Kansas, Mark, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined our community! Great advice from Ol Grey Mare!
If you would like to touch base with some fellow NC poultry folk, find your state thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!
D.gif

G’Day from down under Mark
frow.gif
Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

redsoxs, LOL, our chocolate lab does the same thing. She just hangs out in the yard with them and has never even tried to chase them around.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom