NC State Fair!

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by kla37, Oct 11, 2010.

1. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    So, are any of you showing any birds at the NC state fair? Just want to know if we should look out for any BYC celebrity chickens (or other animals)! I love looking at the animal exhibits, we aren't really into rides in our family. I heard that this year they are selling hamburgers on krispy creme doughnuts ([​IMG]) and deep fried pie [​IMG] [​IMG]. They seem to find something new to batter and deep fry every year. [​IMG]

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Not going, although we used to live in Raleigh and loved the fair. One thing about NC, that's different from VA is that people there are crazy about the fair! Here, not so much. I know - what's the deal with frying everything? I heard they might have deep fried butter this year! Insane!

Have fun at the fair!!!

p.s. let me know how many chickens they have, and who wins!

3. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    Ill go but im not entering cause I didn't get those papers when I ordered my chicks!

4. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    I am going but will not be showing, The poultry show is huge but not one I would want to show in but I still love to look.

5. User66184

User66184 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    East Coast, Virgina
    Quote:Are you talking about the Dixie Classic Fair?!?

6. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    no they talkin bout the state fair in Raleigh

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I plan on going, but not showing. Having my birds stay nearly 2 weeks at the fair is just a little too long for my tastes. I want to go on the 20th to see the Meat Goat Show, but I doubt that will happen since I'm the only person in my immediate family that is off that day. Plus, I want to see the fireworks, which is SO worth the $6-$8 to get in just to see those.

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    We're planning on going on Friday. Won't be showing anything but you can bet we'll spend a fair amount of time in the poultry barn!

I heard on the news today that the NC State Fair has more mechanical rides than any fair in North America! Found the video clip, see for yourselves... http://www.wral.com/entertainment/statefair/video/8435270/#/vid8435270

I'm
    an NC native and have lived near Raleigh all my life, so yeah, the fair (and all the yummy food) is a big deal to me! [​IMG]

ETA... I will not be partaking in the Krispy Kreme doughnut hamburgers! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Hey neighbor, I'll be there with my white silkie rooster.

Standard birds go in on the 15th and stay until the 19th for pick up. But my silkie isn't in with them.

Bantam birds won't be brought in or judged until 10/20 so I won't be bringing him up until 8am that day. Then I pick him up on the 24th. So 4 days at the fair and he'll be fine I hope. He'll probably be mad at me.

I also entered a ton of jams in the canning contests, I also entered a salsa in the canning exhibits, I entered Biscotti in the baking competition, and I have a pork and apple pot pie in the NC Apple association contest. So I'll be around and up there quite a bit. [​IMG]

Here's alpha:
    [​IMG]

10. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Quote:Good luck to you! And if anyone is interested, you can buy sheets of ride tickets at several places around the triangle MUCH cheaper than inside the fair itself! Yes, we ARE crazy about our fair here, it really is a wonderful time and has something for everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by