1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NE Oklahoma Chicken Stock - Let's Plan!

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by Poco Pollo, Oct 29, 2011.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Quote:I think we're calling our event the North East Oklahoma Chicken Stock or N. E. O. C. S. One of our daughters suggested Okie Chicken Do (do meaning event), so the abbreviation would be O. C. D. I'm not sure how many people would get that. It could be N. E. O. C. D.

Chicken Stock has double meaning, so we could play off one or both. It could be a recipe for a great time. Perhaps it's a place to get stock for your flock. I'm working on some drawings. I'll post a few this weekend and we can all vote to see if any are worth considering.

OCD can also be translated to Obsessive Chicken Disorder...[​IMG]

2. Allbreeds

Allbreeds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    Checotah, ok
    [​IMG]:lau

3. Poco Pollo

Poco Pollo Vista de Nada Farm

Jun 14, 2009
    Haskell, OK
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sooner

Do you know any police officers in Muskogee? We need to hire two off-duty police officers for the NE OK Chicken Stock in June. I know I can call the station and find someone that way, but I'd prefer that the officers know someone at the event. I don't know what the going rate is. We need to be sure we offer compensation that is at or above the expected rate.

4. Allbreeds

Allbreeds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    Checotah, ok
    Yep. I can Facebook one of them who does work on the side. I'll see if he can check everyone's schedules. PM your email and I can send you the flyer so far.

5. Poco Pollo

Jun 14, 2009
    Haskell, OK
    Allbreeds - Got our flyer. Thanks. Sent you some ideas via e-mail.

Okay, Planners! Here's a list of things we can do at the chicken stock. Tell me what I've missed. Tell me what to change. Tell me, tell me, tell me to not stress because we still have 5 1/2 months to make plans. When I say, "Reserve a space," I mean the building has a lot of cement slabs with chain link enclosures. These areas can be use for setting up cages and poultry-related wares. If we have more sellers than spaces, late-comers can set up against walls or in the grassy area behind the building.

1. First and foremost, this is a family-centered event. Bring your family and have a good time.
    2. People can sell hatching eggs, poultry, and waterfowl. No four-legged animals, please. Other wares should be poultry oriented, with the exception of soaps, jams, jellies, you get the idea. We don’t want anyone to bring garage sale items to this event.
    3. There is no charge for setting up cages and selling birds. Reserving a space is recommended. Let me know via e-mail that you are bringing birds. [email protected]. I can assign people a place to set up. I need to finish drawing the map of the building, which can be posted online on the planning thread. I can update the map as spaces are reserved. It will be like picking your seats for an opera, but without the singing part [​IMG]
    4. Anyone who puts birds in the Pay the Seller Poultry Sale is encouraged to tip the guy calling birds for the sale. He offered to do this for free, but it’s a lot of work. We will have a tip jar on the sale table for this purpose. There is no commission, so leaving a tip ought to be okay with most buyers and sellers.
    5. People should bring cash to pay for birds. I don’t think anyone is able to take credit cards, and checks are not as satisfying in a seller’s pocket as cash. Small bills make buying easier. I know I can’t make change for anything over $20.00 most days.
    6. People need to have their own cages to transport birds. There will probably be a few cages for sale at the event.
    7. Knowledgable people are encouraged to have displays and may offer demonstrations for beekeeping, canning, soap making, quilting, etc. Reserving a 30-minute time slot for a demonstration is encouraged. It will reduce my stress and we’ll be able to post a schedule. Interested persons can e-mail me at [email protected].
    8. Sell your homemade soap, needle work, artwork, etc. You’ll need to bring your own table and chair. E-mail me to reserve a space. I will make a detailed map to post so that people can find the person selling Mountain Dew jelly, or the family with the extra transport cages for sale.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Add me to the reserve list- will have some birds(excess cockerels), and art and prints available, maybe some gift cert and for sure donate some to the raffle...[​IMG]

7. Poco Pollo

Jun 14, 2009
    Haskell, OK
    Quote:Okay, Robin. I put you on the reserve list. I will post a map on Monday, at which point you can tell me which space you'd like.

8. BetsyOK

BetsyOK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Near Tulsa
    Add me to the reserve list as well. I'll be bringing silkies and maybe showgirls.

9. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Woo-hoo!! I'm enlarging my Silkies "Diva Pen" to make room [​IMG] I take it you're bringing girls, too, right?

10. BetsyOK

BetsyOK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Near Tulsa
    Quote:Woo-hoo!! I'm enlarging my Silkies "Diva Pen" to make room [​IMG] I take it you're bringing girls, too, right?

I plan to bring some of both genders but won't know just what until much later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by