Near miss predator question

Erinnlyn

Songster
Aug 21, 2022
Mid-Missouri
One of our chickens had a near miss with something that wanted to eat her at 5pm yesterday evening. She is missing ALL her tail feathers and has a huge bald spot if you look around on her back. We didn't see what happened, but our rooster was with them. I suppose he fought whatever it was. We saw a tom cat walking a few hundred feet away about 30 min after. There was a trail of feathers that stretched about 50 feet. She has no blood anywhere, just missing feathers, thank God. Could a cat do this? Trying my best to make sure it doesn't happen again. Thanks!
P.S. My kids threw open the door when they heard her squawking and she ran in the house, and jumped on the couch!😆😆 Poor thing was terrified.

Like this?
1664551336381.png

Unlikely to be the cat. More likely to be a weasel.

Also, I suppose the area could get infected from having all those feathers pulled out? I'll watch, and check on her every day, but do you know if I should put anything on the area? Thanks
I sprayed that young chap with chlorhexidine. He did need a couple of stitches though.

Not the cat, probably a fox or coyote they like to grab and go, usually grabbing them by the back. Luckily for your girl it must have only gotten a mouth full of feathers. Keep an eye out, it will be back to try again.

Not the cat, probably a fox or coyote they like to grab and go, usually grabbing them by the back. Luckily for your girl it must have only gotten a mouth full of feathers. Keep an eye out, it will be back to try again.
Yeah, I'm really betting fox now because I came home early, was out watching the chickens at 3 pm and a young fox went running across our property. I tried to scare it on away by making as much noise as I could. Thank you for your answer:)

Back
Top Bottom