Near scalping, deep neck wound, help please? *Now with a picture

ArcherChaos

In the Brooder
May 1, 2020
I have a chicken that got jumped on by bigger chicken, my friend saw it happen, a talon caught it from just behind the eye down most of the neck, deep enough theres exposed skull, i got her immediately, cleaned her up and bandaged her. My question here is about what now. Ive got her to drink a little, but she seems to get tired quickly one minute she can stand next she cant but the it repeats, i have her in dark room resting, and think it maybe shock, is there anything else i can do?

Oh and second, should i sew/glue her up, I have the items for that i just didn't want to stress her more if it want neccary?

I agree pictures would be good. Usually with wounds like this, they need to stay separated and the wound can be cleaned twice a day with half strength Hibiclens or chlorhexidene, and plain antibiotic ointment applied, leaving it open to air. Clean towels or puppy pads for bedding would prevent other bedding from getting into the wound. Most wounds will granulate in with some time, and don’t require stitching, but seeing the wound help to give a more informed opinion.

Sorry its bad quality but its the best o could do
15985815053381897560086091626335.jpg

Just a quick update shes much more responsive and moving now, so shock may be wearing off.

I had found this. Dose is a low dose aspirin(81mg) or a reg aspirin(325mg)dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,crush and place in water or sprinkle over feed or give orally(wrap in a pce of meat or cheese).

For food try giving her scrambled eggs,oatmeal,etc.

Back
Top Bottom