Near tragedy turns into love...

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
Long story short...came home to find sweet lil blue bantam cochin pullet...2 1/2 mo...huddled by the gate out of her pen with skin ripped off from just behind her ear down to her upper chest. She's doing fine now.

I had a lone remaining white bantam cochin chick...2 weeks old...by himself in the brooder box. She is such a sweet pullet that I put her in with the baby who immediately thought he had found his long lost mother. She lets him get up under her wing and breast feathers and is just the best lil mother to him. I'll post a pic when my batteries recharge...

I wish we knew what happened. She was in her pen when we left for the day and was out of the pen but the door was still shut and latched when we got home. There is one very small 5 inch space between the roof and the top of the pen that doesn't have chicken wire. Some how, some way she got out. Either by a predator pulling her out or she got out some and was attacked after getting out.

I think she's going to be ok...it's just a terrible injury that will take quite some time to heal.

Wow, glad she's okay. I'm glad she has a youngster now.
My little silkie hatched 3 Polish, and now they are taller than her, and I have 2 younger chicks, I wonder if I should try and see if she wants them?

I know your heart stopped when you saw her by the gate like that. Poor girl.
sad.png
That is sweet that your younger chick has taken up with her though! I know that has made you smile.
smile.png

First of all, I'm happy your injured pullet is doing well. Second, I'm amazed she has adopted the chick.
Third, I love the Heinlein quote and will be using it as a verb review in high school English next week.

Sudolph

Back
Top Bottom