Nearly Lost A Chicken!!!!!

Fussy8

Songster
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
Utah
Our german shepard k9 dog ( 4 months old) got through our fence while the hens were playing in the garden
ep.gif
! I was on the other side of the coop when i heard a freak out! I ran over and saw our puppy pinning our hen to the fence
somad.gif
!!! I called her some....not so nice names and threw her out of the yard and dragged her to the house! I broke down in tears
hit.gif
when i told my dad his... beaping (not real swear words more like abriviations
rant.gif
) dog ate my chicken! Both ended up being all right but man if i hadnt caught that dog i would have had to dig TWO holes
he.gif
........just saying!!!! Thank you for reading i just needed to tell someone.....

I've found that patience and guarded exposure will give you a good Chicken-Hound...... A dogs natural instinct is to dominate and pursue prey, it is what it is....... Remember, ALL doggies are wolves at heart.
he.gif

Dogs are pack animals, period! For us, the trick was to make our dog(s) realize that the chickens are part of "The Pack"....... Appeal to your dogs sense of responsibility for the well-being of "The Pack"........

Until he's trained, use a firm hand and a safe distance when dog-dog accompanies you to oversee your flock. Make an impression on your pup as to your expectations of his behavior when he's around your chickens.

old.gif

I'm new to chickens but have had dogs for years.........

I hope this helps some.......
wink.png

Our Chicken-Sheppard....
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom