1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nearly Lost A Chicken!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Fussy8, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    Our german shepard k9 dog ( 4 months old) got through our fence while the hens were playing in the garden [​IMG] ! I was on the other side of the coop when i heard a freak out! I ran over and saw our puppy pinning our hen to the fence [​IMG] !!! I called her some....not so nice names and threw her out of the yard and dragged her to the house! I broke down in tears [​IMG] when i told my dad his... beaping (not real swear words more like abriviations [​IMG] ) dog ate my chicken! Both ended up being all right but man if i hadnt caught that dog i would have had to dig TWO holes [​IMG] ........just saying!!!! Thank you for reading i just needed to tell someone.....

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    good thing you were there. Nice save.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yikes! Pups will be pups and need to learn the rules.

4. gickelvolk

gickelvolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Nebraska
    I've found that patience and guarded exposure will give you a good Chicken-Hound...... A dogs natural instinct is to dominate and pursue prey, it is what it is....... Remember, ALL doggies are wolves at heart. [​IMG]

Dogs are pack animals, period! For us, the trick was to make our dog(s) realize that the chickens are part of "The Pack"....... Appeal to your dogs sense of responsibility for the well-being of "The Pack"........

Until he's trained, use a firm hand and a safe distance when dog-dog accompanies you to oversee your flock. Make an impression on your pup as to your expectations of his behavior when he's around your chickens.

[​IMG]
    I'm new to chickens but have had dogs for years.........

I hope this helps some....... [​IMG]

Our Chicken-Sheppard.... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    Thanks all! And thank you gickelvolk for the help!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by