Neck issue with month old Africans

Mentzer6

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 30, 2010
We have 2 one month old Africans. They go outside during the day as it has been in the upper 80s-lower 90s here. By the end of the day, they have swelling on the sides of their necks. Almost like the neck muscles starting right under the chin has shifted to the side. They don't seem to be in any pain, are eating, moving and doing all else just fine. We are new to geese this year and have a 10 week old African, but it never did this. Am I letting the little ones move too much? They wander all over the yard and will go quite a distance to come to the house when it starts to get dark and they think I have forgotten them. In the morning, the necks look normal again. Any ideas?

Do they have access to lots of water? Do they have access to grit? Sounds like they are getting a bit too 'full' in the crop area and need something to help wash it down or break it down. Probably wouldn't hurt to have both.
smile.png

I was sort of thinking about that tonight, have seen it with chickens. I am pretty sure they have enough water, but it wouldn't hurt to put a couple more bowls out for them. And grit, hmmmm, the ground is pretty rocky, but not sure if it is "gritty". Have to put some out as well. Thank you SO much!

Back
Top Bottom