Neck wobbling

one chick

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2023
My 3-year-old chicken seems to be wobbling her neck from side to side and she seems puffed out in the front. Not eating very much but just wondering what that is

Do you have a picture? It sounds like the chicken is adjusting it’s crop because of a crop impaction. What are you feeding? Do you have grit available?

I'm feeding them Purina layers and ManaPro her chest was sticking out and puffy before the head wobbling back and forth. I just lost one chicken two weeks ago to gateworm and before that another one died by hitting her head on the water trough.

Do you have any granite grit out for them to peck? That helps their gizzard grind up their food. How old are your chickens, and does this one still lay eggs? Is the crop emptying by the next morning?
Do you mean gapeworm? Where are you located in the world? Gapeworm is extremely rare, and respiratory diseases or crop problems can cause gasping, or the gaping. If you had gapeworms in your birds, worming them with SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 3-5 days in a row can treat it. Respiratory disease may cause gasping, head shaking, watery or bubbly eyes, and mucus from the nostrils and beak.

Thank you for replying to me on this. I live in Nashville, Tennessee. She's one of eight chickens. I do give them grit and they have a big backyard too feast in. She's about 2 or 3 years old. I don't know if she's laying because it's September. The original five stop laying g then I change the food to manapro and I'm getting three a day so I don't know which of them are laying

It’s September? Can you check her crop early in the morning before she eats or drinks anything to see if it is empty? If you can post a video (to YouTube with a link here) of her neck movements, that might tell us if it looks like a crop issue.
Thank you for replying to me on this. I live in Nashville, Tennessee. She's one of eight chickens. I do give them grit and they have a big backyard too feast in. She's about 2 or 3 years old. I don't know if she's laying because it's September. The original five stop laying g then I change the food to manapro and I'm getting three a day so I don't know which of them are laying

Back
Top Bottom