Necks breaking!!

Pics

Misterpigeon124

Songster
Sep 7, 2018
Manteca, CA
4 days or so ago I purchased my first chickens. Two 2 week old silkies, a blue and white. They were both fine, until the white ine started peeping loudly. I'd check it's bedding, food, water, and temperature but it was all fine. Today at 6am I woke up to find the white chicks neck had been broken. I went back to the breeder, and purchased 3 more, a buff, black, and another white chick all the same age. I went outside to fill up their feed and when I got back, the white chicks neck was broken. It was loose and she was still alive. I tried to give the chick water but it'd throw its head back. It would not do anything but flap its wings and lay down. I took it to the breeder to see if she could identify the issue but the time I got there she was dead and I got a replacement blue. She said it was most likely that the chick had choked and had a seizure, but I don't think that'd explain the neck flopping and the chick not being able to lift it. Keep in mind when I first had gotten the chick it was completely healthy. I'm using thick pine bedding and was grinding up their food to make sure they wouldn't choke. I just don't want this to happen again, like it did twice this morning. All of my other chicks are fine. Any ideas on what's going on?

4 days or so ago I purchased my first chickens. Two 2 week old silkies, a blue and white. They were both fine, until the white ine started peeping loudly. I'd check it's bedding, food, water, and temperature but it was all fine. Today at 6am I woke up to find the white chicks neck had been broken. I went back to the breeder, and purchased 3 more, a buff, black, and another white chick all the same age. I went outside to fill up their feed and when I got back, the white chicks neck was broken. It was loose and she was still alive. I tried to give the chick water but it'd throw its head back. It would not do anything but flap its wings and lay down. I took it to the breeder to see if she could identify the issue but the time I got there she was dead and I got a replacement blue. She said it was most likely that the chick had choked and had a seizure, but I don't think that'd explain the neck flopping and the chick not being able to lift it. Keep in mind when I first had gotten the chick it was completely healthy. I'm using thick pine bedding and was grinding up their food to make sure they wouldn't choke. I just don't want this to happen again, like it did twice this morning. All of my other chicks are fine. Any ideas on what's going on?

I certainly am no expert, but the loud peeping usually is a sign of distress (cold, food, water, fear). Could there be a rodent attacking or something that may have broken their necks?

I certainly am no expert, but the loud peeping usually is a sign of distress (cold, food, water, fear). Could there be a rodent attacking or something that may have broken their necks?
I keep them right near my bed so that I can hear if something goes wrong. No rodents in the house. I do have a dog but they're up too high for her to get to, and she's always gotten along with smaller animals. It was laying dead right where it had fallen asleep. No other signs of injury but the neck.

It sounds like they are suffering from wry neck, which can be a sign of vitamin E or thiamine deficiency. I would get some Poultry NutriDrench and give each chick a drop or two. It could be a weak hatch, but I am not sure. They could have some illness from their hatch as well, such as infection. How warm is your brooder temperature? Are you using a heat lamp, and is it only for chickens? Are you dipping their beaks for a second into water to get them drinking? Sorry for your loss.

It sounds like they are suffering from wry neck, which can be a sign of vitamin E or thiamine deficiency. I would get some Poultry NutriDrench and give each chick a drop or two. It could be a weak hatch, but I am not sure. They could have some illness from their hatch as well, such as infection. How warm is your brooder temperature? Are you using a heat lamp, and is it only for chickens? Are you dipping their beaks for a second into water to get them drinking? Sorry for your loss.

They were both completely fine which is what I'm confused about. The first one was weak from the start, but the second chick was much stronger. When I picked her out, she was running around full of life, which is why I don't think it was wry neck. I always have the temperature set to 95 degrees and it's a heat lamp just for the chicks which are all staying in the same box. They all know how to drink on their own but the white one was too weak, and wouldn't drink even when I dipped her beak.

Back
Top Bottom