Necropsy of my beloved hen "Kennedy"

pawprint2104

Songster
10 Years
Oct 21, 2010
SF Bay Area
My favorite young hen was ill for the past year. UC Davis did a necropsy on her. She died two days ago. I need some medical advice so that I can understand what the report states. Does anyone know what the following information mean? I have 4 other hens which are all fine.
The preliminary report says
A 28-month-old hen, coelomic neoplasm
1.Oviduct: Nodular, cystic, and hemorrhagic neoplasm (presumptive leiomyoma)
2.Liver: Suspect hepatopathy
and
06/24/2021: The main gross finding is the large neoplasm in the coelomic cavity, which is attached to the oviduct by a fibrous
stalk. The neoplasm resembles leiomyoma in hens. We also observed an abnormal liver, which will be better characterized on
histological evaluation. Microscopic examination and more tests are pending. Another report is forthcoming.
and
A 28-month-old (per history) hen in poor body condition and minimal adipose tissue stores is received for necropsy. The cadaver
is in fair postmortem condition.
Occupying approximately 40% of the abdomen and compressing the oviduct is a 6.5cm diameter, encapsulated, superficially
rough, semi-firm mass. On the cut section, there are multiple variably sized cysts filled with hemorrhages and tan-white, firm,
homogenous tissue. The mass is attached to the oviductal serosa by a fibrous, semi-translucent stalk. Free in the abdomen are
three 1.5-2cm diameter, semi-transparent, gelatinous material (presumptive “egg albumen”). The parietal peritoneum has
multifocal 0.3-0.5cm diameter, red foci. The liver is diffusely dark-brown with foci of pale-brown and red-brown discoloration. Both
lungs are diffusely wet, red and on cut section, moderate amounts of a frothy fluid ooze.

I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugs
Didn't someone at UC Davis review the report with you?
coelomic neoplasm
A new and abnormal growth in the abdominal cavity
hemorrhagic neoplasm
The growth began bleeding
presumptive leiomyoma
They presume the growth was a smooth muscle tumor
Liver: Suspect hepatopathy
The liver was abnormal in appearance and it was suspected to be diseased.
is the large neoplasm in the coelomic cavity, which is attached to the oviduct by a fibrous
stalk. The neoplasm resembles leiomyoma in hens
See above.
Occupying approximately 40% of the abdomen and compressing the oviduct is a 6.5cm diameter, encapsulated, superficially
rough, semi-firm mass. On the cut section, there are multiple variably sized cysts filled with hemorrhages and tan-white, firm,
homogenous tissue.
That is a huge mass.
Your hen had reproductive issues that killed her. What breed was she?

I’m sorry for your loss, but thank you for sharing this. I’ve never had necropsy done and it’s interesting to see how the results are reported. (Definitely not in layman’s terms!) Hopefully the results can resolve your questions.

I am very sorry for the loss of Kennedy. Thank you for sharing the very medical report, and thanks to @dawg53 and @DobieLover for translating it for the rest of us.

I hope the necropsy brings you some closure; it shows that she didn't die from anything you had control over. But, of course, it still hurts to lose her.

Back
Top Bottom