Unexpected “Natural” Death *Necropsy Pics*

So sorry for your loss. :hugsGreat job finding out what happened to her. I always find peace of mind knowing for sure (when possible) what happened. And it (knowledge) sometimes helps with future birds knowing what may or may not be helpful or possible for treatment.
I found myself looking at my older girls this morning wondering if they are going through the same thing.

Just a side note: my remaining three older girls (3+) do not like to be mated. I repeat, do not. And when it happens, they seem to go into a short depression. This morning it happened to Penny and I found myself wondering “what if?”

One time while I was eviscerating a cockerel, my hand pushed on the air sacs at just the right angle to make air whistle through the voice box. It made a surprisingly lifelike squawk.
That is hilarious and would be completely unexpected. I have accidentally :oops: made a carcass “fart” :lau a time or two. I try to get my DH to come look at something I’ve found and to no avail. He’s a lightweight. :gigI think he’s really afraid I might do something to him.

Yes, I definitely would. Do you think the causes should be similar or just any death? Other than the cockerels I’ve processed, I’ve only lost two hens. The deaths just so happened within two weeks.
Well IF this loss could possibly be from lymphoid leukosis wouldn't you want to possibly prevent future birds from getting it?

Well IF this loss could possibly be from lymphoid leukosis wouldn't you want to possibly prevent future birds from getting it?
Most definitely so. See, this is showing my ignorance, but I wasn’t aware that stuff such as I found in Millie was contagious to other chickens. Now I’m freaking out a little. This is exactly what I don’t want.

What do I need to do, because I’m certain my other hybrid is probably suffering in the same way then, especially if it’s contagious?

I have yet to read the article.

Most definitely so. See, this is showing my ignorance, but I wasn’t aware that stuff such as I found in Millie was contagious to other chickens. Now I’m freaking out a little. This is exactly what I don’t want.

What do I need to do, because I’m certain my other hybrid is probably suffering in the same way then, especially if it’s contagious?

I have yet to read the article.
Go read it first.
IF it is LL there is nothing you can do right now to prevent your current birds from getting it.

Go read it first.
IF it is LL there is nothing you can do right now to prevent your current birds from getting it.
Okie dokie, I have finally been able to read the two links, one from @Eggcessive and one from @danceswithronin.

In Millie’s case, I believe the snapshot page, “Pathology of Older Laying Hens,” describes more of what I saw. Adenocarcinomas of the ovary seemed to hit the nail on the head, especially after I read about tumor growths affecting the duodenal loop. It is amazing I caught that, but it honestly is the first thing that jumped out at me. Though I did not take pictures, she did have enough amber colored liquid in her to consider her positive on the ascites front, even though not much would have drained if I had drained her.

Regardless of what I think Millie’s problem may have been, I have another hybrid, a Red Star, that won’t be with me much longer. She began having reproductive issues last year, about the time she turned two. About a third of the eggs she tried to lay I have had to help her release the egg shell. She would then go on her merry way as if nothing had happened.

She is still with me only because she is one of my OG’s (Original Gangsta Hens.) Those first four, mostly just three of them (2 BO & 1 RS) have been so gracious to let me look, touch, tug, pull and probe on them, in my curiosity fueled investigations of the chicken body. I owe them so much, especially my Biscuit and my Butter. They are two of the best.

My newer chickens will not be afforded that opportunity. Once these same reproductive problems begin occurring in them, as in my OG’s, it will be time to cull. There is a certain amount of worry and work caring for such a girl, which is doable with four, but not 30. Not to mention it being counterproductive for my little egg business.

Once Miss Penny succumbs to whatever, I will send her off to the state for testing. The only drawback is I will not be able to see what her innards look like for any type comparison. However, it will be worth it to have a positive confirmation, one way or the other.

On a side note, I was planning to call Alabama AGI and be put on the list to have the state come and test my birds to receive an NPIP certification. After I process my six extra cockerels in a few weeks, that is.

Please let me know if I’m still missing something. I honestly did not know that any of these internal problems were/could be contagious to my other birds. Gosh darn it!

Okie dokie, I have finally been able to read the two links, one from @Eggcessive and one from @danceswithronin.

In Millie’s case, I believe the snapshot page, “Pathology of Older Laying Hens,” describes more of what I saw. Adenocarcinomas of the ovary seemed to hit the nail on the head, especially after I read about tumor growths affecting the duodenal loop. It is amazing I caught that, but it honestly is the first thing that jumped out at me. Though I did not take pictures, she did have enough amber colored liquid in her to consider her positive on the ascites front, even though not much would have drained if I had drained her.

Regardless of what I think Millie’s problem may have been, I have another hybrid, a Red Star, that won’t be with me much longer. She began having reproductive issues last year, about the time she turned two. About a third of the eggs she tried to lay I have had to help her release the egg shell. She would then go on her merry way as if nothing had happened.

She is still with me only because she is one of my OG’s (Original Gangsta Hens.) Those first four, mostly just three of them (2 BO & 1 RS) have been so gracious to let me look, touch, tug, pull and probe on them, in my curiosity fueled investigations of the chicken body. I owe them so much, especially my Biscuit and my Butter. They are two of the best.

My newer chickens will not be afforded that opportunity. Once these same reproductive problems begin occurring in them, as in my OG’s, it will be time to cull. There is a certain amount of worry and work caring for such a girl, which is doable with four, but not 30. Not to mention it being counterproductive for my little egg business.

Once Miss Penny succumbs to whatever, I will send her off to the state for testing. The only drawback is I will not be able to see what her innards look like for any type comparison. However, it will be worth it to have a positive confirmation, one way or the other.

On a side note, I was planning to call Alabama AGI and be put on the list to have the state come and test my birds to receive an NPIP certification. After I process my six extra cockerels in a few weeks, that is.

Please let me know if I’m still missing something. I honestly did not know that any of these internal problems were/could be contagious to my other birds. Gosh darn it!
Do you know what your state tests for for the NPIP?
Most states only test for Pullorum Typhoid...more states are starting to test for other things too.

Interesting.

I will begin reading about all this “new to me” stuff.

This just makes me wonder how many more of my girls are walking containers of this gunk. It is sad, and I’m now wondering if there’s something in the water? :eek: I hope not, cause I drink it too!
If its cancer, it cant just be passed on through water since I believe its genetic (as far as I know) im not an expert on diseases. If there is one that can be passed like that then someone please let me know. Either way, sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom