Unexpected “Natural” Death *Necropsy Pics*

Do you know what your state tests for for the NPIP?
Most states only test for Pullorum Typhoid...more states are starting to test for other things too.
Based on what little I know regarding all this, I have to assume things at this point since I have not talked to anyone yet. According to the website (AGI.alabama.gov/NPIP), I assume Alabama initially tests all birds for the following: Salmonella pullorum, Salmonella typhoid, Salmonella enteriditis, Mycoplasma gallisepticum, Mycoplasma synoviae, and Avian Influenza.

Each subsequent year, a sample of birds will be tested for Salmonella pullorum, Salmonella typhoid, and Avian Influenza. If I want an “Avian Influenza clean” classification, my birds would be tested every 6 months.

I am going to call Monday and see what they say.

Based on what little I know regarding all this, I have to assume things at this point since I have not talked to anyone yet. According to the website (AGI.alabama.gov/NPIP), I assume Alabama initially tests all birds for the following: Salmonella pullorum, Salmonella typhoid, Salmonella enteriditis, Mycoplasma gallisepticum, Mycoplasma synoviae, and Avian Influenza.

Each subsequent year, a sample of birds will be tested for Salmonella pullorum, Salmonella typhoid, and Avian Influenza. If I want an “Avian Influenza clean” classification, my birds would be tested every 6 months.

I am going to call Monday and see what they say.
Thank you.
I'd love to know what they tell you on Monday if you don't mind sharing.

If its cancer, it cant just be passed on through water since I believe its genetic (as far as I know) im not an expert on diseases. If there is one that can be passed like that then someone please let me know. Either way, sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing.
Millie never was bred to my knowledge. When the Welsummer was out and about and feeling his oats (when I collected eggs for the broody and the bator), she was in full molt and didn’t have time fo dat! I have seen all four of my OG’s open up a can of whoop a$$ on the Wellie. He was shot down quicker than it would have taken him to finish the job. So, if spread genetically, Millie never reproduced. However, if it is spread similar to STD’s and the old Wellie did get his jollies with Millie, that is bad news, I suppose.

I am going to do a bunch of reading this weekend. In all honesty, I have never really payed much attention to all this cancer/viral/bacterial/big word stuff, thinking I would never be affected by it. Hmmmph! I guess it showed me, huh? I shall now become more knowledgeable in all the ickies and ooeies of the chicken world.

Adenocarcinoma of the uterus is not caused by viruses, as some of the other common cancers, lymphomas, and sarcomas.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/neoplasms/overview-of-neoplasms-in-poultry
Whoop, whoop! I’m gonna claim it!
41383A0D-1B16-4731-ADEA-C4E3DA06EB3B.jpeg

Thank you, @Eggcessive for this link.

Well thank you.

This may be gross sounding, but if you could look at an unaffected, unsick bird (necropsy a healthy bird), it would give you great beginning knowledge knowing what is normal.

A nice, chunky rooster that's causing trouble would be a good subject, right before you cook him up. ;) Just a suggestion. :D

Back
Top Bottom