Necropsy results, is not coryza or CRD--parasites are rampant!!!

Quote:
My original concern was failure to thrive, slow weight gain, feathers looking a little wompus, and they were getting DE, ACV, kelp, flax seeds and BOSS as a supplement to their chick grower fed free choice with grit. They also free ranged a couple of hours a day when it was safe to do so. They received garden produce and weeds from gardening on a regular basis.
I got more concerned a few weeks ago with I saw one of the hens shaking her head and 'yawning' so I figured she had gape worms. I did wazine in the water about 2 weeks ago then I really started seeing running noses and dirty feathers and smelly chickens. I was afraid I had coryza so I so I took two birds, two separate breeds to be necropsied. It showed extensive parasites, ie, round worms, and changes to their intestines. If I don't get this kicked, they will die of secondary infections.
I am going to treat with neomycin (and trimeth sulfa) together after I worm with valbazen. I also bought thru first state vet some vitamins, and probiotics to be used after they get their meds. I did read thru the articles on first state vet. They were very informative.
I thought I was safe to wait to worm the whole flock this fall after they were all about 16 weeks. I should have wormed sooner if I saw issues. I think I would have noticed sooner if I wasn't on cruthches all summer, up until 2 weeks ago. I didn't think it was kosher to enter the hen house with my crutches then come back in the house.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have read that you can also give it 5mls in a gallon of water. When I get my valbazen from first state, I will see what they recommend.

Quote:
I have read that you can also give it 5mls in a gallon of water. When I get my valbazen from first state, I will see what they recommend.

Why dilute its effectiveness?

Quote:
I have read that you can also give it 5mls in a gallon of water and give it as the sole water source for 24 hours. When I get my valbazen from first state, I will see what they recommend.

Just giving options to people to research and choose for themselves. I have 30 birds, still don't move to fast with my feet after surgery, so don't know if I can catch them effectively even with my DH helping. I still don't know how I will administer it. I want to see what the directions from first state says.

Quote:

Just giving options to people to research and choose for themselves. I have 30 birds, still don't move to fast with my feet after surgery, so don't know if I can catch them effectively even with my DH helping. I still don't know how I will administer it. I want to see what the directions from first state says.

I would hate to see anyone worm their chickens with a diluted mixture causing ineffectivenss and possibly having to reworm sooner down the road... defeating the purpose of using the product in the first place, not to mention the waste of time. It's best to pen them and dose them one at a time using a syringe without a needle. Then release them out of the pen one at a time after dosing. Good luck, I wish you the best.

I would be more prone to indivdual dosing. Good to know there is a way to do it in their water, but I know if I put it in their beaks, they got dosed good!
lol.png
I have a lot of birds too, maybe a hundred right now, but even then, I prefer individual dosing. A half hour of my time is worth it for weeks of peace of mind.

Quote:
Know this is an old post in my reading it. I try real hard not to let any {expecialy pets} around chicken area as you wouldnt want someone that had a chicken farm walk there with the boots that he works in ie cross contamition.The neighborhood dog is probley were the pairsites came from in my thoughts.or they came in with the chickens themselfs.

Thanks to Flowerchild59. My chickens do not have the same symptoms, but since the vet didn't have any suggestions (no one sees chickens out here), I thought your observation might help my girls. Worms left behind from the Wazine would explain the weightloss, and possibly the vit deficiency. I posted requesting wormer info, got GREAT responses, and wormed the lot! Also dosed some vit E to all. I'm heading out to the coop in a minute... we'll see...

She's still in bad shape, but alert and alive. I'll dose with vit e again, and see what happens. I just don't get it. Thanks!

I have never wormed my chickens and have never had a problem. Also I thought worms were species specific, so would a dog really infect chickens?? If I had to use all these chemicals on my chickens, I'd rather buy eggs in the store. In almost 19 years I have rarely had a chicken fail to thrive or die for some unknown reason. I am amazed at the problems some people have. If they have worms, I will worm them, but other than that I will pass.

my friend's cornish roo died unexpectedly after looking off for just a few days. Took him to the lab and they said he had some necrotic tissue in his breast muscle, and other non-specific findings, but we were both shocked to read that he had significant worm load! Wait, whaaat...? Worms? Wow, we wormed all our chickens together.

Back
Top Bottom