Necropsy results, is not coryza or CRD--parasites are rampant!!!

Quote:
that's a very useful tidbit of information.
thank you, oral dosing now looks doable to me

Quote:

I worry about the meds going down the wrong tube...am I too worried over nothing?

Quote:

I worry about the meds going down the wrong tube...am I too worried over nothing?

Then all you have to do is pull the wattles down, squirt a little in her mouth and release the wattles...she'll still swallow it on her own. Repeat the procedure til the liquid is all gone.

Quote:

That's a good thing to be aware of, and I have seen a bird die of this when an inexperienced owner shot it down the wrong side.

The crop is on the right side if the bird is facing forward with you. Feel it? This is on YOUR LEFT if you face the bird. Feel the crop with each dose so you confirm which side the correct pipe is on.

Yikes!! I was planning on worming my girls soon anyway but this is making that a Top Priority! Sheesh... Soon as Sunny recovers from her molt, they're getting wormed.

On that note, the guy at the local farm store recommended Pig Swig, the main ingredient is Piperazine. I guess you just add it to their water. Will their eggs still be good to eat after using this stuff? Or do I need to toss them for a week or two?

Quote:
Pig Swig (piperazine) only gets rid of large roundworms. You'd be better off ordering valbazen from Jefferslivestock.com if your feed store doesnt carry it. It kills all known worms that chickens get.

Quote:
OK, confusion: I thought the dosage for valbazen was 1/2 cc per chicken? Where does the "squirt in a cc at a time" come from? Or is this a general medication administration comment and with valbazen you just give all at once? Or am I wrong on the dosage?
idunno.gif

Quote:

Then all you have to do is pull the wattles down, squirt a little in her mouth and release the wattles...she'll still swallow it on her own. Repeat the procedure til the liquid is all gone.

thanks, I was much more successful giving my leghorn her baytril last night, I wore much less of it! and this evening I plan to wear none of it. Just wanted to thank you for the instruction!

Quote:
OK, confusion: I thought the dosage for valbazen was 1/2 cc per chicken? Where does the "squirt in a cc at a time" come from? Or is this a general medication administration comment and with valbazen you just give all at once? Or am I wrong on the dosage?
idunno.gif

I think they were referring to the fact if you have to give meds, don't give more than a cc at a time to allow them time to swallow and not choke. The valbazen dose is 1/2 cc per large fowl bird.

Update:
I just wanted to say the chickens are looking better after the valbazen a few days ago. They are on their 7 day course of antibiotics. They are having a large pumpkin tossed into their pen daily as a treat along with the usual BOSS and other goodies. They go crazy for the pumpkins. I am glad that my DH planted so many this year.
Their poo is getting to be more normal consistency too and I don't detect a funk like I did before. I have not seen the tiny worms in there like I did a few weeks ago (clear green poo with thread like worms, flecked with blood).
My dtr has access to raw milk from a lady down the road that has her own dairy cows and is going to bring me curdled milk and buttermilk, and has so many probiotics in it. When the antibiotics are completed, I will start the vitamin and minerals supplement.
My son in law brought me a big scoop of sand and dumped it into the run. We spent a little more money and had gutters placed so water doesn't drip off the roof into the run.
I think they are on the upswing. The just look like they are healthier. Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. This is a big learning curve for me. I read alot and hopefully retain something now and then. I don't want my chickens to suffer due to my knowledge deficit. I never had chickens that actually stayed alive more than a year or two due to predator issues with our old henhouse. Since we built the new one a couple of years ago, I have not lost one to predation, just don't want to lose any to my lack of animal husbandry skills.

Back
Top Bottom