Necropsy results, is not coryza or CRD--parasites are rampant!!!

Quote:
Great job!
thumbsup.gif

I consider worms predators. Set up a regular worming schedule that you think is best and you'll have healthy chickens for a long time to come.
I never thought about gutters for the coop.....hmmmm, I like that!

I did some extensive wormy reading. This is what I've read so far:

VALbazen is not FENbendazole, it's ALbendazole. ALbendazole does not kill the 3 most common worms that chickens get. But it does kill Flat worms, and flukes and tape worms, also roundworms.

FENbendazole does kill the most worms, including the most common worms that chickens get. FENbendazole is one of the safest ones. Panacur is one, Safeguard.

Pyrental Paomate kills all the common chicken worms but not as well as Fenbendazole. It's also used on people who get worms.
Pyrental Paomate is found in WorminATOR from Twin Cities Poultry.
Safeguard is Fenbendazole, so is WorminIZER from Twin Cities Poultry. Safeguard is also in liquid form for goats.

DE does nothing for worms. DE does not work once it's wet, like inside a chicken.

I can't find Ivermectin (eprinex) documentation anywhere that says it works on chickens.

Wazine only works on Roundworms, which are the most common worm in a chicken. Other worms can even carried by rats, mice, cockroaches, and flies.

Most of this info is from "Diseases of Poultry" chief editor W.M. Saif. There are about 1,000 research scientists who have contributed to this book. I had to look up brand names and find what chemical they really are. Other information was found on the manufacturer's insert on usage.
This disease book also recommends the dosage for FENbendazole to be 25mg/pound or 50mg/Kilo, or 25mg per chicken.. It has to be used for 3-6 days. I am getting confused mg/ml on the packaging inserts, about 2.5mg/ml, etc. I'll have to wait to get my liquid goat wormer and read the label myself . I will add that as soon as I get the package.

If anyone has information on these, please state your SOURCE of info.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hey Dawg, thankyou for those links!!!

I think the one link that makes the most impact on me is the Manufacturer's label. I know Valbazen/ALbendazole, kills alot of worms. But mostly, tapeworms, flukes, and flatworms, and a bunch of others.

The most common chicken worms are roundworms (ascarids), Capillaria, and Cecal (Heterakis). And there is no mention of Albendazole/ Valbazen killing those worms- on the manufacturer's label. Maybe it's best to use ALbendazole and FENbendazole. This way FENbendazole kills the most common worms, and ALbendazole just about gets everything else!!!!

I appreciate the manufacurer's label link. I could not find it.
Also, I just don't know how to use them in water. With the Worminator (Pyrantel Paomate), it's only 2 drops per chicken, and each one got a piece of bread with 2 drops in it last night.

Let's keep digging!

Quote:
I can assure you that albendazole kills all the worms you mentioned above. Fenbendazole will get them as well, but not tapeworms nor flukes. I dont recommend mixing either wormer in water, they will lose their effectiveness when diluted. It's best to administer orally, undiluted.

Thanks so much for posting your findings from the necropsy. Something for us all to learn.

And thanks to everyone for posting about different dewormers.

Quote:
Here is a link to a journal article: http://japr.fass.org/cgi/content/full/16/3/392#T1

Summary of study findings and how a flock was managed:
1. There was a high incidence of worms in this 1 year old flock, maintained on litter. Incidence:
o Ascaridia galli (roundworms)—73% adults; 80% larvae,
o Heterakis gallinarum (cecal worms)—100% adults; 73% larvae
o Capillaria obsignata. (capillary or thread worms)—100% adults; 100% larvae
o Raillietina cesticillus (tapeworms)—53%

2. There were no adverse effects of albendazole treatments on bird appearance, behavior, apparent appetite, and weight gain.

3. Good control was seen at 10 mg/kg for all worms except tapeworms, which required 20 mg/kg for control.

4. Through other medical websites, I found that albendazole is used to treat humans with worm infections.

5. Conclusions:
o Since there is a very high incidence of worms in chickens raised on litter, I plan to worm my chickens 2 times per year, or more frequently if I observe worms or weight loss.

o I will use 10-20 mg albendazole/kg body weight, which translates to:
- 2 pound chicken ~0.1 ml Valbazen
- 4 pound chicken ~0.25 ml Valbazen
- 7 pound chicken ~0.5 ml Valbazen

Still we only worm with chemical wormers when a fecal test shows positive and we test twice a year. We use a preventative the rest of the time called Verm-X. We are in AZ where it is very dry and can't remember the last time we had worms in either flock....

Southerndesert, this is a very good article, I bookmarked the website. The article mentions that the 3 or 4 most common worms found in chickens are roundworms, capillaria and cecal worms, also tapeworms. I guess the part that confuses me is that this article has shown tests with albendazole killing those 4 common worms. But the manufacturers label on albendazole does not mention them, just other worms, (except for tapeworms). I wish they'd all get their facts straight.

The best thing I've learned here is that I've been treating with Wazine for 4 years, and not realizing that there are other worms I need to kill. I wonder if my chickens have suffered from that. I don't know. But now I will be using more affective wormers, like Valbazen, fenbendazole, and Pyrantel Paomate, and kill all the little suckers. I live in Florida and for sure the worms proliferate here.

I also have to say that it shocked me when a 10 week old chick I had pooped round worms right in front of me. I didn't think they were old enough.

Back
Top Bottom