Necropsy results, is not coryza or CRD--parasites are rampant!!!

Quote:
Here is a link to a journal article: http://japr.fass.org/cgi/content/full/16/3/392#T1

Summary of study findings and how a flock was managed:
1. There was a high incidence of worms in this 1 year old flock, maintained on litter. Incidence:
o Ascaridia galli (roundworms)—73% adults; 80% larvae,
o Heterakis gallinarum (cecal worms)—100% adults; 73% larvae
o Capillaria obsignata. (capillary or thread worms)—100% adults; 100% larvae
o Raillietina cesticillus (tapeworms)—53%

2. There were no adverse effects of albendazole treatments on bird appearance, behavior, apparent appetite, and weight gain.

3. Good control was seen at 10 mg/kg for all worms except tapeworms, which required 20 mg/kg for control.

4. Through other medical websites, I found that albendazole is used to treat humans with worm infections.

5. Conclusions:
o Since there is a very high incidence of worms in chickens raised on litter, I plan to worm my chickens 2 times per year, or more frequently if I observe worms or weight loss.

o I will use 10-20 mg albendazole/kg body weight, which translates to:
- 2 pound chicken ~0.1 ml Valbazen
- 4 pound chicken ~0.25 ml Valbazen
- 7 pound chicken ~0.5 ml Valbazen

Still we only worm with chemical wormers when a fecal test shows positive and we test twice a year. We use a preventative the rest of the time called Verm-X. We are in AZ where it is very dry and can't remember the last time we had worms in either flock....

Southerndesert, this is a very good article, I bookmarked the website. The article mentions that the 3 or 4 most common worms found in chickens are roundworms, capillaria and cecal worms, also tapeworms. I guess the part that confuses me is that this article has shown tests with albendazole killing those 4 common worms. But the manufacturers label on albendazole does not mention them, just other worms, (except for tapeworms). I wish they'd all get their facts straight.

The best thing I've learned here is that I've been treating with Wazine for 4 years, and not realizing that there are other worms I need to kill. I wonder if my chickens have suffered from that. I don't know. But now I will be using more affective wormers, like Valbazen, fenbendazole, and Pyrantel Paomate, and kill all the little suckers. I live in Florida and for sure the worms proliferate here.

I also have to say that it shocked me when a 10 week old chick I had pooped round worms right in front of me. I didn't think they were old enough.

Our soil is the same seminolewind. That's why I worm every 3 months. You have to keep in mind that valbazen, safeguard and ivomec products and other wormers are all "off label" products and the manufacturers will readily state that their products are not for use in chickens. This is why you never see info regarding dosages nor withdrawal times on the manufacturer labels. Wazine is approved for use in chickens. Not only wormers but other products such as corid, tylan and many other antibiotics, anti-protozoal meds etc...are not labeled for use in chickens. Also, if you look at the above study "Summary" and notice the percentage of kills...some more than others...that is another reason why it's important to follow up with a second dosing 10 days later with albendazole...to kill the leftover worms that the first dosing didnt get.
Valbazen (albendazole)is a cattle/sheep wormer as stated on the label.
Safeguard (fenbendazole/panacur) is an equine paste and there's safeguard liquid goat wormer.
Most ivomec products are for cattle and horses in pastes, injectables, oral drench and pour on.
For rotation purposes, I use valbazen, safeguard liquid goat wormer, and infrequently use zimectrin gold horse paste.

Last edited:
flowerchild, my chickens sounded like yours did. I gave them panachlor 64 and panacur. they have now been off of the antibiotics for two weeks and have just finished their second stage of worming.

the problem is that two of my girls still have the raspy cough. I've put them through two rounds of antibiotics now and two complete cycles of worming. I feel like my only options now are wait for them to die; wait for it to spread; cull.

After reading and rereading everything on BYC over the last two months I really feel that they had worms and got a secondary infection because of that. everyone else is healed and my little ones on the other side of the same barn have never showed any symptoms (they're on medicated feed) . I have to admit that at this point I am emotionally exhausted as well as broke, I'm leaning towards culling my precious pets, but any feedback would be great, it sounds like everyone on this thread has been through my exact situation already.

thanks for everything BYCers

Quote:
Is there another name for panachlor 64? I cant locate it. How old are your birds and what were/are their symptoms in conjunction with the raspy cough?

of course I spelt that wrong, here's a link to penneclor 64

the symptoms were just the cough, about half of my flock had it, the one who had it worse is the one who still isn't healed. I actually took her to a vet (who knew nothing but took my money anyway) The vet said that without doing tests they usually prescribe worming and broad spectrum antibiotics. It seems to have worked except for the for the last two hold outs. Did I mention that they are eight months old? Otherwise wonderful. They live on deep bedding in a spacious barn, and they eat layenna and whatever else I can find for them in the fridge. Thanks alot for putting your brain to this.

Quote:
LOL. I just found it in the poultry medications formulary, it only has a 24 hour withdrawal after last dosing. Dont worry, I spell a word wrong sometimes too.
First of all, were there anything environmental that couldve caused your birds to cough? For example; ammonia fumes from bedding, dust from feed, pollen, things of this nature to cause them to cough? Otherwise, it could be a fungus or perhaps a respiratory problem. But with most respiratory problems there are other symptoms ie...wheezing, runny/bubbly eyes, fluid from nostrils, swollen face, gurgling...some cause loss of appetite and become to sick to eat as well. Have you smelled a foul odor coming from around their head/nostril area? That could be a sign of coryza. The pennchlor treats for MG and that would what I also would suspect if it was a respiratory problem if it wasnt coryza. Have they been eating and drinking normally even after worming?

Last edited:
dawg is full of questions AND information!
Great news on the withdrawl time of pennechlor 64, that makes me happy.
Dust and the gurgle are the only things in your list that seem to apply to my ladies. The dust isn't going anywhere though since we live in the dusty windy desert on a property devoid of concrete. I ripped out the floor of the barn to elliminate any possibility of mold or fungus, and I rearanged everything into an open floor plan where no corner is safe from the scratching of sixty eager feet. I turn the bedding once a week to keep the compost going, so I can't smell any ammonia. It's the gurgle that's got me worried. But other than that food gets eaten, crops filled and emptied, water drank and eggs laid. it's a perplexingly minor major problem.

Quote:
I'm beginning to think it's either an environmental issue or a fungus issue or both. Ripping the floor out couldve released fungus/mold spores into the surrounding area even if your chickens were elsewhere. When and if you returned them to that area (if you did) they could easily breathe in spores/fungus/dust since they are always pecking and scratching the ground.

Quote:
Opal,

After a cold spell several of my hens developed a cough. I treated twice (2 times, 7 day treatment) with terramycin. All but two hens seemed improved, but one became especially sick. Someone suggested Denagard, for respiratory infection. They have been on that for 4 days now. All seem to have more energy and the hen that was the worst is doing very well. One of the two hens only had cough. Other also had a bit of nasal discharge. I'm new to this and have no idea what I'm doing - just passing the info because it helped.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom