Necropsy results, is not coryza or CRD--parasites are rampant!!!

Quote:
Southerndesert, this is a very good article, I bookmarked the website. The article mentions that the 3 or 4 most common worms found in chickens are roundworms, capillaria and cecal worms, also tapeworms. I guess the part that confuses me is that this article has shown tests with albendazole killing those 4 common worms. But the manufacturers label on albendazole does not mention them, just other worms, (except for tapeworms). I wish they'd all get their facts straight.

The best thing I've learned here is that I've been treating with Wazine for 4 years, and not realizing that there are other worms I need to kill. I wonder if my chickens have suffered from that. I don't know. But now I will be using more affective wormers, like Valbazen, fenbendazole, and Pyrantel Paomate, and kill all the little suckers. I live in Florida and for sure the worms proliferate here.

I also have to say that it shocked me when a 10 week old chick I had pooped round worms right in front of me. I didn't think they were old enough.

Our soil is the same seminolewind. That's why I worm every 3 months. You have to keep in mind that valbazen, safeguard and ivomec products and other wormers are all "off label" products and the manufacturers will readily state that their products are not for use in chickens. This is why you never see info regarding dosages nor withdrawal times on the manufacturer labels. Wazine is approved for use in chickens. Not only wormers but other products such as corid, tylan and many other antibiotics, anti-protozoal meds etc...are not labeled for use in chickens. Also, if you look at the above study "Summary" and notice the percentage of kills...some more than others...that is another reason why it's important to follow up with a second dosing 10 days later with albendazole...to kill the leftover worms that the first dosing didnt get.
Valbazen (albendazole)is a cattle/sheep wormer as stated on the label.
Safeguard (fenbendazole/panacur) is an equine paste and there's safeguard liquid goat wormer.
Most ivomec products are for cattle and horses in pastes, injectables, oral drench and pour on.
For rotation purposes, I use valbazen, safeguard liquid goat wormer, and infrequently use zimectrin gold horse paste.

I guess in a nutshell, Valbazen packaging did not list any chicken worms because it's not for chickens. Right?

Quote:
Our soil is the same seminolewind. That's why I worm every 3 months. You have to keep in mind that valbazen, safeguard and ivomec products and other wormers are all "off label" products and the manufacturers will readily state that their products are not for use in chickens. This is why you never see info regarding dosages nor withdrawal times on the manufacturer labels. Wazine is approved for use in chickens. Not only wormers but other products such as corid, tylan and many other antibiotics, anti-protozoal meds etc...are not labeled for use in chickens. Also, if you look at the above study "Summary" and notice the percentage of kills...some more than others...that is another reason why it's important to follow up with a second dosing 10 days later with albendazole...to kill the leftover worms that the first dosing didnt get.
Valbazen (albendazole)is a cattle/sheep wormer as stated on the label.
Safeguard (fenbendazole/panacur) is an equine paste and there's safeguard liquid goat wormer.
Most ivomec products are for cattle and horses in pastes, injectables, oral drench and pour on.
For rotation purposes, I use valbazen, safeguard liquid goat wormer, and infrequently use zimectrin gold horse paste.

I guess in a nutshell, Valbazen packaging did not list any chicken worms because it's not for chickens. Right?

Right. Same for all the other off label wormers except wazine.

So it seems from some research that the incidence of worms is increased on chickens raised on litter?

So, could freeranging chickens have a reduced incidence of worms? All the hype in medical (human) research on immunology hints that adding bacterial biodiversity may improve human immunity. Could the same be true for other living beings? Things that make me go hmmmm.....

hu.gif
since I encounter worms occasionally in a sick person, and we have a visiting wormy cat and local garbage eating racoons, I am usually on the lookout for worms in my flock, all the while believing I may have transmitted the possibility via my scrubs and shoes and
sickbyc.gif
my washed hands. Since I send fresh poop with my vet to a lab twice a year to check for ova and parasites (and the e.coli and the salmonella I may have brought home from work) I believe my little flock of backyard freeranging hens give me the worlds' most expensive eggs. They are 3 years old with no ova in their poops and no worms in their poop or eggs, and the weight they've just added with their annual moult is pretty heavy, so WHAT GIVES? God sent an angel with fairydust and showers ONLY MY CHICKENS with clean bowels?

My neighbor mentioned his giant black walnut tree may have something to do with it. His dogs didn't have worms while living with that tree, but they needed worming when he moved away. Anecdotal, for sure, but I just gotta wonder.

I am exceedingly grateful to all of you for posting your hard work and your research and your personal struggles with finding the best right way to treat the problem. Now I have an excellent reference for when my luck changes and it's finally my turn. THANK YOU.

After reading all this stuff about needing to worm chickens so often - I hate to say this but it might be healthier eating store bought eggs - where the chickens are raised on wire and don't need to be wormed - the only way you can get organic eggs is from someone who only keeps their chickens a year or so and then culls them and never has to worm them -
cool.png

Quote:
You're right. Chicken on wire is the only way they cant get worms. If their feet touch the ground, they'll eventually get worms.

They could still get worms from flys, roaches, vermin.
Cattle, whether in the backyard, or raised for public consumption, gets vaccines, meds if sick, and are wormed.
You can't expect good eggs from chickens with poor care. Worming = healthier chickens, plumper chickens from less grain, better eggs, and happier chickens. Store bought eggs may sound healthy, but also causes more chickens to live in cages or crammed into chicken houses. I would like my food to live a quality life up until they get eaten.

Quote:
You're right. Chicken on wire is the only way they cant get worms. If their feet touch the ground, they'll eventually get worms.

They could still get worms from flys, roaches, vermin.
Cattle, whether in the backyard, or raised for public consumption, gets vaccines, meds if sick, and are wormed.
You can't expect good eggs from chickens with poor care. Worming = healthier chickens, plumper chickens from less grain, better eggs, and happier chickens. Store bought eggs may sound healthy, but also causes more chickens to live in cages or crammed into chicken houses. I would like my food to live a quality life up until they get eaten.

Well - if I had a choice between a happy chicken and healthy me - guess which I would choose - it's possible that a chicken raised on wire can get worms from some bug - but very unlikely - the changes are no where near as if the chicken is running all over the place - as I have said many times in the past - much of the problems that people have with chickens is the fact that they let them free roam - I'm not only talking worms but all the other problems - while I'm on the ramble I'd also like to say that when people treat sick chickens that have a disease that can be cured but the chicken remains a carrier of that disease it is making things worst for all chickens - the disease is unknowingly spread to other chickens by various means - sick chickens should be culled - period - now as far as eating cattle - I don't like to eat meat that is full of vaccines, meds, hormones, antibiotics either - If I have to start worming my chickens every couple months I will give up raising them - it isn't worth it - I'm looking for healthy eggs -
frow.gif

I was going to say the same thing JoePa said. If I have to deworm that often and withhold eggs, I'll be throwing away so many eggs all year long that there is no point having eggs. I love my chickens but maybe I'm better off just having a couple as pets like I started with last year. Geez
Thank you all for the great information. Now I'm wondering why my hens suddenly got sick and died and regretting that I didn't send them in.

I dewormed on Oct. 15 with Wazine. I've been tossing the eggs (which really breaks my heart) . So I have ivermectin and safeguard paste dewormers for horses here. What do you recommend to do next?

I have 3 hens that are 1 1/2 yrs. old and the rest are from May or March of this year?

I worm twice a year during times where they are not laying all that much. And me myself personally, eat the eggs because they do worm people with that stuff, and there's a warning because there's not enough research on the matter. I don't sell those eggs, tho.

JoePa, I can't argue against your opinion, alot of people feel that way. And people usually come to this forum for the benefit of their chickens. That says alot about you and everyone else here.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom