Necropsy results, is not coryza or CRD--parasites are rampant!!!

Quote:
Lucy, there's alot of people out there who are stating that are claiming Ivermectin is not doing much. Safeguard is much better.

I have to say that I thought I was doing the right thing worming with Wazine for the last 4 years. Reading this thread has shown me what I really should be doing and why. Gosh, my pet chickens have not ever been wormed for anything other than roundworms! Safeguard, Valbazen, have a pretty short withdrawel period. And do it when they're not laying that much, so you won't be tossing so many eggs.

Quote:
Lucy, there's alot of people out there who are stating that are claiming Ivermectin is not doing much. Safeguard is much better.

I have to say that I thought I was doing the right thing worming with Wazine for the last 4 years. Reading this thread has shown me what I really should be doing and why. Gosh, my pet chickens have not ever been wormed for anything other than roundworms! Safeguard, Valbazen, have a pretty short withdrawel period. And do it when they're not laying that much, so you won't be tossing so many eggs.

My question would be, can you feed the eggs back to the chickens? I know you are not suppost to when medicating for other problems, but that is for fear of recontamination. I would think the extra protein would be good for them.

Quote:

My question would be, can you feed the eggs back to the chickens? I know you are not suppost to when medicating for other problems, but that is for fear of recontamination. I would think the extra protein would be good for them.

I dont recommend feeding eggs back to your birds, like antibiotics, there's residue in the eggs. That would enhance worm resistance and extend the withdrawal.

Well I just had 6 nice eggs in the boxes today and 3 yesterday. I put them in the fridge! I just can't see what it could do to me if I eat the eggs. I thought about feeding them back to the chickens but I'll keep reading more on it first. Who knows, maybe I have a tapeworm myself.
lol.png

I'm one of the ones that eats the eggs. Safeguard & Valbazen are safe wormers and are given in tiny doses to chickens. The EGG from that chicken isn't going to have a measurable amount of anything in it. Some people crack me up-they smoke a pack a day and have a drink every day (I do neither) yet they won't eat an egg from a wormed chicken lol
To each his own
smile.png

Quote:
And drive through the fast food (I use the term food loosely here) places regularly. I figure I get less bad stuff from the egg than I would from what passes as a burger in those places.
sharon

I would still treat with antibiotic, probably sulfa drug like tmz-smp, since it looks like they also have e.Coli and possibly other viral/bacterial infection. Also, would give probiotics like kefir to help heal their intestine. Sorry you're going through this. I bought some bottle calves from a dairy once, they came to me with drug resistant e. Coli, salmonella and rotavirus, triple whammy. The bacterias were so resistant we ended up stopping antibiotics and just giving probiotics, along with fluids. They all survived, amazingly.

Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:
You're right. Chicken on wire is the only way they cant get worms. If their feet touch the ground, they'll eventually get worms.

But, healthy chickens raised on dirt, not filthy litter, will often have a good resistance to worms. That's why you can see some heavily affected, others not hardly, in the same flock.

As for ivermectin- I recently had a horrible experience. Worked my flock of 20 and two of the three E.Fayoumis ended up overdosed. One buttercup ( buttercups are said to be related to Fayoumi) also had milder sxs. Almost lost the Egyptians, one was comatose for two days! Makes me wonder if the Egyptians are genetically unable to metabolize ivermectin like normal? Even my OEGBs, which are tiny, were fine. I'll be switching to other workers from now on.

This was the first time in 20 years, BTW, that I've ever worked. I only did it because I felt, since they are in a tiny yard rather then fully free-ranged, as I've always raised chickens before this flock, that I should worm the, from now on, I'm checking a fecal egg count, first. No more worming just because for my little flock!

Last edited:
Quote:
You're right. Chicken on wire is the only way they cant get worms. If their feet touch the ground, they'll eventually get worms.

But, healthy chickens raised on dirt, not filthy litter, will often have a good resistance to worms. That's why you can see some heavily affected, others not hardly, in the same flock.

As for ivermectin- I recently had a horrible experience. Worked my flock of 20 and two of the three E.Fayoumis ended up overdosed. One buttercup ( buttercups are said to be related to Fayoumi) also had milder sxs. Almost lost the Egyptians, one was comatose for two days! Makes me wonder if the Egyptians are genetically unable to metabolize ivermectin like normal? Even my OEGBs, which are tiny, were fine. I'll be switching to other workers from now on.

This was the first time in 20 years, BTW, that I've ever worked. I only did it because I felt, since they are in a tiny yard rather then fully free-ranged, as I've always raised chickens before this flock, that I should worm the, from now on, I'm checking a fecal egg count, first. No more worming just because for my little flock!

Healthy chickens raised on dirt DO get worms, where do you think the worms come from in the first place? Your soil conditions dictate how much worm oocysts are in the soil. In Mesa, I suspect your soil is sandy and dry most of the year...it would have less oocycts in your soil, less condusive for worms. It depends on the soil conditions/environment where you live. One roundworm lays thousands of eggs a day that are shed onto the soil to be picked up by your other birds. Not having filthy litter is common sense in flock management.

Back
Top Bottom