Necropsy results, is not coryza or CRD--parasites are rampant!!!

Quote:
I have to say, after treatment, their feathers are shinier, they look healthy, happy and gaining weight. I finished the antbiotics, then we did probiotics for about a week and a half. They are getting fresh curdled milk (sort of looks like liquidy buttermilk) a few times a week when my daughter milks the cow and brings home milk. They are free ranging about 6 to eight hours a day. (My daughter is the worse one about letting her dogs run loose. She isn't just letting them roam during the day anymore. I told her she would have to pay me for my lost birds if I caught her dogs killing my chickens again.)
I am so glad that I wormed. I was going to do it this fall anyway. I didn't want to take them through winter without being in the best possible condition. They are getting a pumpkin a day as long as the pile of squash holds out.
Opal, I have one hen that persists on having an occasional cough no matter what I do. She "yawns" like she has gapeworm. My son has offered to kill her for me and see if she has gapeworm or some other issue. She is molting right now, and I gave her another dose of valbazen just to see if she cleared up. She looks the roughest. She has about another week or two to snap back or she is gone.
I plan to worm twice a year from now on routinely. Any bird that so much as gets a sniffle will be culled immediately.

Quote:
My birds had the watery nose and cough, a secondary infection from the parasites and I treated with neomycin and trimeth-sulfa. I couldn't find it locally so I ordered from first state vet, but you can find it on line too.
I think I would treat for a respiratory infection and see if that does the trick.
I know on my necropsy results, for my birds, neomycin and trimeth sulfa were the only antibiotics that would treat. Maybe tetracyline isn't the right antibiotic in your case too and that is why you still have the cough in your birds.

Last edited:
well thanks alot, this is the most valuble information.

I've got to say that as far as sanitary vs. healthy, the two words don't belong in the same sentence. Hospitals are ideally "sanitary" but staph evolves there. I think that the key is biodiversity. If I had worms I hope that I'd get medicated and not put down. Chickens deserve to run, scratch and "fly".

I have some oxine in the mail now, if that doesn't work I'll go back to antibiotics, I hope I can get the ones you used here in kalifornia, there's a lot of good stuff banned.

Thanks millions

Quote:
But, healthy chickens raised on dirt, not filthy litter, will often have a good resistance to worms. That's why you can see some heavily affected, others not hardly, in the same flock.

As for ivermectin- I recently had a horrible experience. Worked my flock of 20 and two of the three E.Fayoumis ended up overdosed. One buttercup ( buttercups are said to be related to Fayoumi) also had milder sxs. Almost lost the Egyptians, one was comatose for two days! Makes me wonder if the Egyptians are genetically unable to metabolize ivermectin like normal? Even my OEGBs, which are tiny, were fine. I'll be switching to other workers from now on.

This was the first time in 20 years, BTW, that I've ever worked. I only did it because I felt, since they are in a tiny yard rather then fully free-ranged, as I've always raised chickens before this flock, that I should worm the, from now on, I'm checking a fecal egg count, first. No more worming just because for my little flock!

Healthy chickens raised on dirt DO get worms, where do you think the worms come from in the first place? Your soil conditions dictate how much worm oocysts are in the soil. In Mesa, I suspect your soil is sandy and dry most of the year...it would have less oocycts in your soil, less condusive for worms. It depends on the soil conditions/environment where you live. One roundworm lays thousands of eggs a day that are shed onto the soil to be picked up by your other birds. Not having filthy litter is common sense in flock management.

I agree birds will pick up worms even if raise on wire......main reason other bugs are host to the worms.

I use both safe guard and ivomec....Wazine is a waste only kills round worms......which safe guard does...ivomec kill worms ,mites ,and lice.

beetle,earwigs,grasshopper,earthworm,slug,snail,termite,dragonfly,and mayfly all can be host to parasitic worms.

Yes chicken eat most of these...if on the ground or freerange ,they will pick up more like earthworms, but reason why everyone should worm their birds...depend on your location some more than others.

Quote:
Healthy chickens raised on dirt DO get worms, where do you think the worms come from in the first place? Your soil conditions dictate how much worm oocysts are in the soil. In Mesa, I suspect your soil is sandy and dry most of the year...it would have less oocycts in your soil, less condusive for worms. It depends on the soil conditions/environment where you live. One roundworm lays thousands of eggs a day that are shed onto the soil to be picked up by your other birds. Not having filthy litter is common sense in flock management.

I agree birds will pick up worms even if raise on wire......main reason other bugs are host to the worms.

I use both safe guard and ivomec....Wazine is a waste only kills round worms......which safe guard does...ivomec kill worms ,mites ,and lice.

beetle,earwigs,grasshopper,earthworm,slug,snail,termite,dragonfly,and mayfly all can be host to parasitic worms.

Yes chicken eat most of these...if on the ground or freerange ,they will pick up more like earthworms, but reason why everyone should worm their birds...depend on your location some more than others.

I quit using ivermectin long ago. It has lost its effectiveness as a wormer in chickens most likely as overuse as a treatment for mites. It wont kill lice in chickens, lice dont suck blood like mites. However, ivermectin is still effective killing mites. Here's a link regarding ivermectin's ineffectiveness in large roundworms, cecal worms and capillary worms in chickens:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0450.1989.tb00635.x/abstract

Quote:
Administer the safeguard liquid goat wormer orally. Dosage is 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Repeat dosing in 10 days.

Quote:

I quit using ivermectin long ago. It has lost its effectiveness as a wormer in chickens most likely as overuse as a treatment for mites. It wont kill lice in chickens, lice dont suck blood like mites. However, ivermectin is still effective killing mites. Here's a link regarding ivermectin's ineffectiveness in large roundworms, cecal worms and capillary worms in chickens:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0450.1989.tb00635.x/abstract

I bought some lice infested birds a couple of years ago and used Ivermectin as the only treatment. The lice were gone within 48 hrs.

Back
Top Bottom