Necropsy results, is not coryza or CRD--parasites are rampant!!!

Quote:
I quit using ivermectin long ago. It has lost its effectiveness as a wormer in chickens most likely as overuse as a treatment for mites. It wont kill lice in chickens, lice dont suck blood like mites. However, ivermectin is still effective killing mites. Here's a link regarding ivermectin's ineffectiveness in large roundworms, cecal worms and capillary worms in chickens:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0450.1989.tb00635.x/abstract

I bought some lice infested birds a couple of years ago and used Ivermectin as the only treatment. The lice were gone within 48 hrs.

thumbsup.gif
I use it on all my birds........you will not any on any of my birds...i use the pour on for cattle. 1 cc on peafowl size birds.

Quote:
I use 3 cc per gal of water for 3 days then repeat in 14 days. i treat 3 times a year.

That would certainly be an easy way to do it instead of dosing each chicken individually. Does anyone else do it this way? I'd hate to dilute the effectiveness but at the same time it'd sure be a lot easier.

Putting safeguard in water is useless, not only diluting it's effectiveness but how do you know each and every bird drinks it? Drinks enough of it to be effective? Over 3 days, good luck. Cooler temps, they drink less. Administering it orally to ithem individually is best, that way you know they got properly wormed, no guesswork about it. Your choice, they are your chickens.

Quote:
I do the bread cube thing. I cut up bread into cubes and dose each piece of bread. But you have to be careful of the greedy ones!

Yeah, I've done that with the safeguard paste. You're right, they are greedy for the bread.
lol.png

Quote:
I use 3 cc per gal of water for 3 days then repeat in 14 days. i treat 3 times a year.

That would certainly be an easy way to do it instead of dosing each chicken individually. Does anyone else do it this way? I'd hate to dilute the effectiveness but at the same time it'd sure be a lot easier.

You will find most peafowl breeder ,dose ths way....if we get a new bird in we dose down the throat...beleive me it works....only water in front of them. new mixed each day. Never seen a bird go a day without drinking. not a pasted so mixes easy with water

Check some of the peafowl site and section here.......thats how most worm them , we are talking birds worth hundreds.

Facts prove it when no worms or eggs found in their dropping.....I had over 100 full grown peafowl , think of catching that many to worm them...NOT, then a friend that has thousand of peafowl worm them the same way.

Just found this thread today. Thanks so much to all of you for posting - I've learned so much (and have copied / pasted so many of the posts here for future reference). This is exactly why I love BYC - I so appreciate the concern and the experience and research everyone shares. It's an amazing community here. And as always, Dawg posts the best pix - you managed to gross out my 11-year-old with the 'worm in the intestine' photo - and that's pretty hard to do -

Back
Top Bottom