Necrotic black areas on the combs and wattles?

mom2-4littlekings

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 7, 2009
Hello! I am new to this forum and the chicken obsession so please forgive me if this question has been asked before. In my defense, I did search the site and the internet with little info to show for it!
wink.png
I'm thinking I need to work on my technique...

I have 5 beautiful Buff Orpingtons in a Playhouse coop in my backyard. All my Buffys have black, necrotic areas on their combs and wattles. It does not look like the avian flu, as the pictures shown for that 'bug' shows bubbles or bumps on the comb and wattles. Just areas that have been eroded away. It reminded me of what frost bite might look like, according to the descriptions I have read, but we have had the warmest of summers that I can remember here in Washington State, I know it cannot be that!

What could it be, and how do I treat it? Thank you, ahead, for your time!
smile.png

MaryAnn

I thought you might ask, so I was out taking pictures. Thank you for your VERY quick reply!
smile.png
It was fun taking the pictures! They all came running, curious about the shiny thing in my hand. Great fun!

33618_img_0370.jpg

This photo isn't the best shot of the black stuff, but it's a good shot of the shortened comb (?), fourth from the bottom. Isn't he regal and handsome, though? My son named him Mr. Jiggly Puff.

33618_img_0373.jpg

Here, you can see the hen (her name is El Pollo Loco) in the back has a black crater just above the beak. The front chicken (Serenity) has a few dark parts that look like dirt on the comb, and a small spot on the wattle.

Thank you for the welcome! I have actually been lurking on BYC for a couple years and was thrilled when my DH agreed to my chicken idea!
smile.png

are your chickens fighting at all? those scabs are not bad. i have had horrible cuts and scabs on mine before my roosters fought so hard one time that one lost half his wattle but now he is fine with his one and a half wattle lol your chickens are fine
wink.png

tongue.png
Feeling sheepish... Just scabs? Phew! I did have 6 chickens - 2 roosters and 4 hens. We recently gave one of our roosters to a friend who has 12 hens, all who were decreasing in their production and being harassed by crows. Our rooster came in, showed everyone who's boss, started to crow (he wasn't at our house), and the next morning, they had 9 eggs!
smile.png
Both roosters are now VERY happy! Before, they were getting more and more rambunctious and were pestering our poor hens to death. Poor ladies couldn't get a break from the males! All is more calm at our coop, thankfully, and the kiddos can visit the other rooster, SuperChick, whenever they want. A happy ending for all.
lol.png

One and a half wattles - that's pretty funny!
lol.png

A friend of mine suggested that I look into Fowl Pox, and it fits well. It has been unusually hot this summer, which seems to be a trigger. From the research I have done there is no intervention except prevention. Has anyone dealt with Fowl Pox? Does this look like it to you? (see original posts for photo) Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

I just noticed this same kind of black streak on the back of one of my girls comb tonight...she's the only one of the 5 that has a big red comb yet, and she is the only one that has this...she is also the only one not afraid of my roo, so I'm hoping that's what it is too! Thats a good sign to me! Maybe my eggs will come soon! Lol

Back
Top Bottom