Necrotic tissue on leg

Pics

CCUK

Free Flying
Jan 21, 2018
North Notts, UK
My Coop
My Coop
I have been given a hen that had a mud ball on her leg. It was about the size of a baseball! I got all the mud off and she has got alot of dead tissue on her leg. I cleaned it up and gave her a soak in a warm Epsom salt bath. Her foot seems quite swollen and maybe a little deformed. She can't walk on this leg and keeps lifting it up when she stands and falls over. She is eating and drinking fine and I have put tylan 50 soluble in her water as this is the only anti biotic I have. Has any body got any advice on if there is anymore I can do. @casportpony @Wyorp Rock? Also she is a bantam but I'm not sure what breed.
DSC_0060.JPG

DSC_0058.JPG

I have the same here. I think it is called hibiscrub. I'm sure the tissue damage was caused from the mud and poop stuck to her. Her foot was completely encased in a baseball sized lump and it was solid. I have no idea how long she has been like that. I didn't take any pictures to start with I just wanted to remove it from her. She does have feathered legs so I know that doesn't help.

I've removed as much as I can. I haven't put anything on it, just to let the air get to it. It smelt really bad. Is tylan OK or should I try to get something else?
Anything that's dead does need to be removed. Can you take more pictures? To soften it up more, I might try soaking her leg for at least an hour, but since she can't stand, you have to be careful because if she gets too wet, then cold, that could cause hypothermia.

What part of the leg is this on? If it's on her drumstick or thigh I'd be suspicious of cancer like @Eggcessive suggested.

What other antibiotics can you get? Tylan is quite good for some types of bacteria, but it's probably not going to help much with this.

The cleanser @Eggcessive suggested, or something with betadine would be good to use too.

I looked for betadine a few months ago in the UK (I didn’t search high and low, admittedly) and blanked, but TCP would do just same, I’d imagine (and almost all households have in the UK, I’d think).

Anything that's dead does need to be removed. Can you take more pictures? To soften it up more, I might try soaking her leg for at least an hour, but since she can't stand, you have to be careful because if she gets too wet, then cold, that could cause hypothermia.

What part of the leg is this on? If it's on her drumstick or thigh I'd be suspicious of cancer like @Eggcessive suggested.

What other antibiotics can you get? Tylan is quite good for some types of bacteria, but it's probably not going to help much with this.

The cleanser @Eggcessive suggested, or something with betadine would be good to use too.
Its only on the scaly lower part of the leg. She is in my living room next to the radiator at the moment. I can get some hibiscrub tomorrow and give her another wash. I will take some more photos.

I looked for betadine a few months ago in the UK (I didn’t search high and low, admittedly) and blanked, but TCP would do just same, I’d imagine (and almost all households have in the UK, I’d think).
I looked for iodine and got told it was old fashioned and nowhere stocked it. Boots, super drug and Lloyd's all looked at me funny! I can get it online though.

Back
Top Bottom