1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need 7 ducks processed in S Central WI, NW Illinois or NE Iowa

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ElaineS585, Nov 3, 2011.

1. ElaineS585

ElaineS585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2010
    I have been trying to find someone to process 7 ducks for me for months to no avail. I can find chicken processors but nobody processes ducks. I am willing to pay a reasonable amount but do want them plucked, not skinned. Do you know of anyone who processes ducks or hunters that would be willing to help me by doing this? I'm willing to travel a reasonable distance to get this done. They are 3 month old Pekin/Rouen mix. The processor doesn't have to be a licensed facility as these are for my family's personal consumption, not resale. No one in my family hunts so none of us have the skill or steel-will/stomach to try to process them. (We do fish and kill, clean & cook our own fish so we're not completely hopeless!)
    Thanks.
    Elaine
    P.S. I THINK I might be able to help pluck them and would be willing to try...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  2. hydroswiftrob

hydroswiftrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    N. Texas
    My Coop
  3. ElaineS585

Sep 13, 2010
    Quote:Thank you very much!! I'll go search through it now and see what I can find.
    Thanks again!
    Elaine

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Are there any hunt clubs close to you? They will have someone who dresses ducks for their clients. Since you don't need a licensed processor, you could maybe hire him to dress a few ducks for you.

5. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    I've asked a duck-hunter friend of mine....when I hear back, I'll let you know. I know he eats 'em...so somehow they go from field to table. We're in greater Chicagoland....

6. oxfordsrgr8

oxfordsrgr8 New Egg

Nov 4, 2011
    I live *kinda* in NW IL... Quite near the IL/ MO/ IA corner...

7. ElaineS585

Sep 13, 2010
    Hi, Folks,
    Thanks for the suggestions & contact info. We decided to bite the bullet yesterday and processed 3. We'll process 2 more this week when I have room to let them "rest/develop flavors" in the frig. At least I'll be able to reduce the # of drakes as they are starting to really harass the females.... The other 2 we'll probably fatten up until Spring....

Thanks again for your help!
    Elaine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by