Need a big mean rooster breed to fight ravens

Quote:
What is a Shamos best breed?
hu.gif

Show pictures of situation (i.e. cover availability, landscape). Part of problem may your fowl do not have defensible position or a position the raven does not want to enter. Could be tweaked.

A shamo, pure at least, may not be the most suitable for a northern climate. Jersey giant might be better. Even my American games out weight the largest raven and a great deal more manuverable on the ground. You leghorn is among the breeds least suited to drive off a pest like a raven, they are not gamey enough.

I agree with centrachid I have seen both crows and raven and they r big but I have also seen a fight between a turken roo and a lab and the roo won jumped up and smacked the lab in the face and drew blood and a lot of screamin but I think a protective roo can handle the raven (alone)

I've got two suggestions. One is as others have said, a good dog seems to be the ultimate answer for almost any pest issue one has. As for the other, it's a dumb idea but thought I would throw it out there. If I understand chicken fighting practices, people will attach razor blades or the such to the roosters to give them a bit more umph when they try to spur the other rooster. Saying you can seed a rooster with some attached WMD for the raven to find, I think you might get the raven to think chickens are not worth the effort... course this also means your rooster could really hurt other members of the flock (mounting hens = bad)...

So... dog?

I have a black sex link Roo that is huge and mean...he kinda looks like a giant turkey vulture.

I have a HUGE problem with RAVENS!!!

HUGE

I do not have a rooster who will take on a Raven - I have Orpingtons and Ameraucanas in large fowl - they will run when the ravens come in. My birds do not even react that way with hawks and golden eagles. I have had ravens kill chicks, teens and adult bantams.

The valley over from me - the ravens, in a mob, attack and kill sheep - lambs to yearlings.

All it takes is two Ravens to kill an adult bird, or a lamb. One works on the "front" and keeps the bird/animal occupied. The second attacks the back of the bird, jabbing and stabbing with its beak into the back. Should there be more than 2 ravens - it is a mess.

Cover the run, and the Ravens will find a way into the cover, or a way to damage the cover so they can get in.

We have encouraged our dogs to dislike the ravens - chase them off. And have even had success shooting shots into the ground to divert their flight path from over our property.

bryan99705 I hope you find a way to fix the problem. They are a devious bird - and a quick study.

Back
Top Bottom