Need a bit of help on br gender and a few others on their breed.

HeatherLynn

Crowing
12 Years
May 11, 2009
Kentucky, Cecilia
Sorry in advance for poor picture quality. I had to do this blind because the viewer on my camera is broken. Not the greatest but I hope sufficient. I am praying I have some pullets amoung the barred rock. I am also unsure now of the others breeds. I was told araucana but I am convinced thats now what I have now. Having a bad first experience buying chicks. These are all 14 weeks.

30964_im000387.jpg

30964_im000385.jpg

30964_im000383.jpg

30964_im000381.jpg

30964_im000378.jpg

30964_im000377.jpg

30964_im000376.jpg

30964_im000375.jpg

30964_im000373.jpg

30964_im000372.jpg

30964_im000368.jpg

30964_im000367.jpg

Sorry, Heather, you have Barred Rock roosters and Easter Eggers. No BR pullets I can see in those pics. If those were 8 weeks old like you mentioned to me when you got them, the man knew he was selling you all BR cockerels.

The Easter Egger part I am fine with. These were not for show or anything. I wanted pretty sweet birds to get eggs from. I thought my 6 year old would be thrilled with pretty colored eggs. The barred rocks I am upset about.

How do you find someone reputable to get birds from? I liked the idea of buying from individuals and not a huge hatchery but this has left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm in Kentucky if anyone happens to know any reputable " egg pushers" I would love that info. I guess I need to get the only rooster I'll ever love a mate and find something to do with the others. So frustrating.

Well, my sister's ex-husband is at Fort Knox, so maybe we could arrange something the next time she takes the kids to see her dad. Unfortunately, I think he's out of the country right now, so that might not be very soon. I'll check with her.

Thanks for trying, I'm just heart sick over this. I should have just gotten attatched to the easter eggers but I thought the barred rocks were supposed to be so easy to sex they were the safer bet.

I know you're dissappointed about the BRs being cockerels, but on the plus side, all four of your easter eggers look like pullets and they are great chickens to have. Ours are sweet, friendly, and lay colored eggs almost every day now.

The BRs are easy to sex. You just got someone who either has the pullet and cockerel traits reversed in his head, or more likely, was unloading extra boys on an unsuspecting person. We've seen that quite often here on BYC.

Quote:
The kids got their Barred Rocks at Premier Ag's Country Mart, don't know if you have one of those nearby.

Brian- HCM

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom