Need a bit of help on br gender and a few others on their breed.

i dont know but they ALL look ike pullets to me....
hu.gif

I keep praying that somehow they are just playing a trick on us all and are really girls. My husband just hands me a piece of chocolate at that point and walks away. ( sigh )

How sure can I be that the Easter eggers are pullets? What should I be looking for. I am wicked nervous.

30964_im000403.jpg

Getting lots of blues in the tail

30964_im000408.jpg

30964_im000418.jpg

30964_im000401.jpg

30964_im000411.jpg

I promise once the new camera comes in when I ask these things I will have some better pics. With no viewer on my broken one I am getting some wicked off or out of focus pics. Its hard to tell but how confident can I be on gender. I'm just fretting about every bird this guy sold me.

How old are your birds in these pics?

It's really hard to tell gender for sure in EEs, but yours look like pullets to me.... I have six EE pullets that are 13.5 weeks old right now, including one that looks just like your buff/white one, and they all have hardly any comb growth... just a pinkness in the general area and maybe a little bit of bumpiness. The EE cockerels that I have seen in pics on here all have some definite comb growth, and that's how people usually tell. It's nothing compared to your BR's combs, but it would look like something at this point, so I think you have pullets.

However, I have been told you can never be sure until they crow or lay and egg, particularly with EEs. I do hope they are girls for you, though! You'll enjoy them and get pretty eggs
smile.png

Quote:
The kids got their Barred Rocks at Premier Ag's Country Mart, don't know if you have one of those nearby.

Brian- HCM

Actually that one is not that far away. Might have to make the hubby go on a bit of a ride with me. I am a determined little newcomer. I will make this all work out somehow.

The first EE you posted has a cockerel-like comb, very wide. Not sure about the others. I've raised true Ameraucanas as well as a couple of EEs and usually a wide comb with all three rows of "peas" showing is male and a girl has a narrow single ridge showing till she is close to laying age.

One of my easter eggers had the wider, 3 row comb, while the other 2 EEs had the single row pea comb and I really thought she was going to be a roo. She's laying eggs now.

I really believe all your EEs are pullets based on their coloring.

If you click here, you can see the growth and colors of my 3 EEs, plus the two different comb types (at week 20).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=19548-from-chicks-to-pullets-to-hens

The birds are 14 weeks. I think. All the info I got on these birds from this guy have been wrong so I am doubting everything he said. We bought them at 8 weeks supposedly and we have had them for 6. That being said at 8 weeks they were the same size as my golden comets at 10 weeks so who knows.

I'm pretty much just watching for crowing now. I have a feeling I am going to need some room in the freezer. Its looking like a good portion of my new flock are illegal to keep now.

I'll post some pics in a couple weeks I guess and see where I stand then.

Heather, I was looking back through my own pictures when I raised BBS Ameraucanas. Remembering that yours are already 14 weeks, you probably have all or mostly EE pullets. For some reason, I was thinking younger. If they were, say, 10 or 11 weeks, I'd say the first was a cockerel. There are late developing cockerels in this breed, so you could get a surprise, but you're better set for girls with the EEs than the BRs.
Here are pics of a male and female a couple weeks older than your EEs for comparison. Blues is a pullet, the black is the cockerel. So, if you had any cockerels, you'd be seeing at least the beginnings of the dangly saddle feathers, I'd think.
DCP_7842.jpg

DCP_7835.jpg

You seem to know a bit more about these easter eggers. If I wanted to breed more how would I go about that. They really are very pretty. I've been enjoying just taking pics of the vain little things.

Heather,
Thanks for posting these. I read this thread at work, but I can't post there. I'm having the same issue with barred rocks. Your photos are very clear!

After reading this thread, I went out and studied mine. I'm still hoping that they are pullets as the woman who sold them to me said. I've had them a week & a half. They are maybe 8-9 weeks old and have combs & wattles too. I took some pictures, but they move so fast & I'm not a good photographer

This is the best shot I have:
28615_dscn0386.jpg

Is this what yours looked like at 8 weeks?

Back
Top Bottom