NEED a Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
I've made butter recently and I have all this lovely buttermilk left over... and since I make so much jam... I need a big pile of biscuits to enjoy it on with the family.

I'm looking for something simple, light and fluffy! Even if I have to premake the dough I'm fine with that, I'm planning a huge breakfast for Saturday this week.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I have made biscuits from scratch and they are good, but let me tell you about this awesome easy mix a came across here in NC and it uses buttermilk to make them. It is by Midstate Mills and is called Southern Biscuit it is there "Formula L Complete Biscuit Mix". Let me tell you that the first time we made them, we sat down and ate every single one!
droolin.gif

You can buy it at Walmart or pretty much any grocery store around here and it's only a couple dollars a bag. I don't think you will be disapointed.
big_smile.png

We also discovered "golden syrup", I believe it's called king syrup or something close to that, but mix it with some butter and just dip your biscuits in it, Mmmm mmmm
love.gif
We call it soppin sauce.
thumbsup.gif

Sorry, just my two cents, I get happy when I talk about these biscuits.
tongue.png

I don't have a recipe..I just "eye" it,,been using it for years..self rising flour, lard/shortening (I prefer lard), few spoons sugar, buttermilk..I mix the flour and sugar, cut in the lard, add b'milk til it looks right, pinch off , roll in floured palms put in greased pan. I usually let mine sit 15-20 min. before putting in the oven...don't over work the dough. my MIL does the same but rolls them out and cuts with a round cutter.

2 cups self rising flower, tablespoon of shortening, 3/4 cup of buttermilk. put flour in mixing bowl, cut in shortening, add buttermilk and stir until well mixed, roll out on floured cutting board and fold over and roll out again. cut with ball jar ring and put in baking pan in 450 degree oven bake about 15 minutes or until tops start turning golden brown.

Quote:
Too much milk talk.....you mean sub the milk for the buttermilk.
smile.png

Is this the same recipe that someone posted for biscuits I think it was kim_c a while back and they freeze them after cut out for later to bake?

ETA: I spoke to soon....I see it is. I will have to make some of these.

Thank you for the link!

Last edited:
Thank you guys so much! My husband is waiting on baited breath to see what I do for Saturday and with so many choices (with good reviews!) I am dying to get me in the kitchen and do a test batch tonight!

Just though I'd mention you can make buttermilk if you don't have any (or don't want to buy an entire carton for one recipe) by adding one T of vinegar or lemon juice to one cup of regular milk........it's saved me many trips to the store

Back
Top Bottom