Need a Chookie Expert to Identify Hatchery Chick

jswiens

Hatching
Jul 19, 2021
Hi All -

Can anyone tell me what breed my chicklets are? The chipmunk striped girls in picture below, not the Brahma chick. Chipmunk stripes as babies, then some spots at tip of wings around 4 weeks, now red/brown and black. I thought I had it solved when I saw the spots - Speckled Sussex. But now spots are gone. They are very fearless and friendly girls, from day one, and according to hatchery should lay brown eggs (I got an assortment of chicks). My other guess is Welsummer. Thanks! I have only ever had white Leghorns so new to other breeds.

Sue

1 Day Old.jpg
2 Weeks Old.jpg
8 Weeks Old.jpg
).

Hi All -

Can anyone tell me what breed my chicklets are? The chipmunk striped girls in picture below, not the Brahma chick. Chipmunk stripes as babies, then some spots at tip of wings around 4 weeks, now red/brown and black. I thought I had it solved when I saw the spots - Speckled Sussex. But now spots are gone. They are very fearless and friendly girls, from day one, and according to hatchery should lay brown eggs (I got an assortment of chicks). My other guess is Welsummer. Thanks! I have only ever had white Leghorns so new to other breeds.

Sue

View attachment 2765729View attachment 2765739View attachment 2765742).
Looks right for a Welsummer.

Agree, most likely Welsummer. As they get older and earlobes develop you will know with more certainty. Red ear lobes for Welsummer and brown eggs.
White earlobes for Brown Leghorn, white eggs. 😊

They look like welsummers to me.
Also, that brooder looks very cool, would you mind telling me the brand (if it has one)?
I got it from Hatching Time: https://hatchingtime.com/collections/chick-brooders

Not at all easy to put together (watch the video if you get one), but it was nice for the 1st 3 weeks when I kept them in the house. I had 4 chicks that made it from an order of 7 and past 3 weeks old it seemed a little cramped for them. I moved them to a deep, metal water trough with an EcoGlow brooder warmer.

Thanks to both of you for your help, been driving my husband crazy with my need to find out what breed of chickens they are. :) I have 2 dark Brahmas, 1 buff Brahma, 2 lavender Marans, and the 2 Welsummers. The Welsummers are my favorites, personality-wise.

Thanks to both of you for your help, been driving my husband crazy with my need to find out what breed of chickens they are. :) I have 2 dark Brahmas, 1 buff Brahma, 2 lavender Marans, and the 2 Welsummers. The Welsummers are my favorites, personality-wise.
I would love to see photos of your lavender Marans! 😊 Just started a thread for them as not much info out there.

I got it from Hatching Time: https://hatchingtime.com/collections/chick-brooders

Not at all easy to put together (watch the video if you get one), but it was nice for the 1st 3 weeks when I kept them in the house. I had 4 chicks that made it from an order of 7 and past 3 weeks old it seemed a little cramped for them. I moved them to a deep, metal water trough with an EcoGlow brooder warmer.
Thank you!

Agree with welsummer. I have 3 and 1 of them is just the absolute best!
Hi All -

Sue

View attachment 2765729View attachment 2765739View attachment 2765742).

Back
Top Bottom