Need a Cleaner Watering System

This looks like the one I just bought. I was just out in the chicken yard where I threw some spinach on the ground around the waterer and worked the nipples so that water would come out. Some of them watched me. So I think I will continue to try to teach them a little more before I take the other water source away. And then keep a close eye on the activity to be sure they are getting it. This system is so much better than the bucket one, I hope I can get them to accept it.

my experience is that, given a choice, they will always prefer an open water dish... but they don't know what we know, that all that dirt they throw around when dusting, is full of microbes/parasite eggs/etc that can be quite harmful to them. they get used to it pretty quick though and this type of waterer does provide enough water for even the most consumptive of chicken breeds.

I am going to take the water bin out of the yard today and keep a close eye to find out if they will use the new system. Thanks for all your advice! As a Newbie, I sure do appreciate the support!!

the instructions that came with mine were pretty adamant that all other sources of water must be removed.
Success! Yep, had to take the existing water away and they had no problem using the new one. If there were directions, my husband threw them away. Is there a recommendation for at what height the water system should be hung?

Success! Yep, had to take the existing water away and they had no problem using the new one. If there were directions, my husband threw them away. Is there a recommendation for at what height the water system should be hung?

Great news! I think the number one reason this is not yet the #1 waterer is that us humans have such a hard time wrapping our minds around how easily the chickens will pick it up... that was the case for me and now I only wished I had started with this style. I've tried a variety of heights with chicks and grown ups. my conclusion is that it's best if they have to reach up a little and extend their neck, this seems to allow the most continuous flow for ease of drinking for them. so a bit higher than head level is where the nipples should be, IMHO... adjusted so that the shortest bird can still get a drink, that or throw a stepping stone under it for the shorter/younger ones.

I set out the bucket with Cups in it. They will drink out of it when it is full but they are Dainty drinker ?? Once it is empty they go looking elsewhere. Caught 2 dipping into the Pond. No I can't rope them off the pond area :( I am not too worried, as I know one of the White ones can swim ... yeah skiddish jumped right into it one day, flapped to the side and got out.

On a good note, the cups are clean :) I did raise them a bit hoping they would peck more in it but so far not

I set out the bucket with Cups in it. They will drink out of it when it is full but they are Dainty drinker ?? Once it is empty they go looking elsewhere. Caught 2 dipping into the Pond. No I can't rope them off the pond area :( I am not too worried, as I know one of the White ones can swim ... yeah skiddish jumped right into it one day, flapped to the side and got out.

On a good note, the cups are clean :) I did raise them a bit hoping they would peck more in it but so far not
can you temporarily pen them into an area where they can't get to the pond? I can imagine that it would be harder to get them established if they had access to a large body of water. there is no doubt that it takes more work for them to get water from either a VN or a HN than an open water source. you typically have to remove all other sources of water for them to get "peckish" enough to discover that water comes from the nipples. fortunately they are red, and that is the one color that stands out like a neon sign for chickens, they pretty much can't resist pecking it.

Back
Top Bottom