Need a good hatchery

Cohl0406

Songster
5 Years
May 29, 2014
I'm wanting to order some chicks. I don't and can't order 25 at any time. I'm in the city. I checked out Meyer since their mon order is 5 but they basically have none of the chicks I want avail unless straight run and I can't have Roos in the city either. Any advise?

Ideal poultry has no minimum as long as your order is $25. Make sure to check no packing peanuts so they don't put extra chicks in for warmth and order them when the weather is warm.

Last edited:
I would be ordering the end of April early May. Don't wanna wait any longer otherwise the tx heat could get to them. My aunt and I will go in on an order together. How is ideal as far as the health of their chicks? I've never ordered before.

I'm wanting to order some chicks. I don't and can't order 25 at any time. I'm in the city. I checked out Meyer since their mon order is 5 but they basically have none of the chicks I want avail unless straight run and I can't have Roos in the city either. Any advise?
I think if you ask about any hatchery, you'll find happy and unhappy people, it;'s the nature of the beast...We personally have had nothing but fantastic experiences with https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com even when something was beyond their control, they took responsibility for it...If you have to order more than you want, order ones that are easy to sell, pop them on craigslist and wallah, you get what you want and someone else will get what they want!

I always order pullets in batches of 25 chicks whether or not I need that many. Not only do more chicks ship better, but I am not limited to a few hatcheries that way. Since I have the order form proving that I ordered pullets, I've never had any problem selling off the extra chicks and recouping my money.

I received my order of 20 from Ideal. I did lose 6, but it was Fed Ex's fault. The surviving 14 chicks are thriving. You only need to spend $25.00, as a previous poster said. I also told them no packing peanuts. They were really nice on the phone & credited my credit card for the 6 I did lose. They were in transit from Tuesdsy until Saturday. I probably would have had all survive if Fed Ex had not stopped shipping on Tuesday. I live in California, so I don't understand why they couldn't fly west
1f612.png

Using FedEx can possibly cause a few issues for people living in the west, and ticking "overnight" or a rush, on an order. We had a reef/salt water aquarium, and all organisms coral/fish/etc ordered via overnight air (often demanded by livestock sellers) still MUST to go through the main FedEx hub in Memphis. With fragile marine critters, FedEx did an amazing job, despite the zig-zag from a CA businesses, to Memphis,.. and back to the west coast overnight. My guess is that the jostling could be worse for a semi-filled box of baby peeps, but dunno. Please ask any shipper, HOW your order will be shipped. The shipping world is a crazy place in these days. Also be sure to watch all tracking on all orders. I have ordered "priority" goods through FedEx, and UPS and find that the last link, where you live, can be the part that FAILS. Moan. I have yet to buy mail order chicks in NM, so I don't really know how bad delivery/notification is for my own location, despite buying peeps mail-order in other states. At least fish & difficult corals are contained within oxygen-filled pillows of water. Chicks don't have these "airbags"?

I found out I am able to add the ones I want onto the order from my feed store! YAY!!! It saves me the 40 something in shipping for 5 chicks lol. I don't have the selection I originally wanted but still good, pretty egg layers including a jersey giant that I've recently become obsessed with and I dont know why.
1f603.png
1f603.png
1f603.png

I found out I am able to add the ones I want onto the order from my feed store! YAY!!! It saves me the 40 something in shipping for 5 chicks lol. I don't have the selection I originally wanted but still good, pretty egg layers including a jersey giant that I've recently become obsessed with and I dont know why.
1f603.png
1f603.png
1f603.png

Congratulations, and good luck with the new chicks. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom