Need a little support 😞

It is very hard. Here some support. :hugs

My first rooster was an oops. My wife loved him and begged me to find a way to keep him. He was so handsome.
View attachment 2281729

The lady on the ground, Hattie, grew up with him. I tried to keep him, including using a no crow collar but he crowed right through it. I had one neighbor that would not abide the crowing so we had get rid of him. The rest of the neighborhood seems quite upset that he had to go. Over a year later they still stop me on the street and say that they miss his crow.

Hattie saw me take him away and would not have anything to do with me for months. My other two ladies were frankly thrilled to see him gone.

I am about to go through this again as I let my barred rock, Sydney hatch when she went broody this spring. Of course one of them is a rooster. The plan is to keep Ned until he is ready to crow and then move him on. Everyone knows the plan except his sister Lucky. I'm sure she will not be happy when he goes, much like Hattie.

View attachment 2281740

It will be sad to let him go but it will be best for him. My backyard flock is no place for a rooster. This is what I tell myself everyday as I grow more attached to him. He's a real sweetheart so far.
It is very hard. Here some support. :hugs

My first rooster was an oops. My wife loved him and begged me to find a way to keep him. He was so handsome.
View attachment 2281729

The lady on the ground, Hattie, grew up with him. I tried to keep him, including using a no crow collar but he crowed right through it. I had one neighbor that would not abide the crowing so we had get rid of him. The rest of the neighborhood seems quite upset that he had to go. Over a year later they still stop me on the street and say that they miss his crow.

Hattie saw me take him away and would not have anything to do with me for months. My other two ladies were frankly thrilled to see him gone.

I am about to go through this again as I let my barred rock, Sydney hatch when she went broody this spring. Of course one of them is a rooster. The plan is to keep Ned until he is ready to crow and then move him on. Everyone knows the plan except his sister Lucky. I'm sure she will not be happy when he goes, much like Hattie.

View attachment 2281740

It will be sad to let him go but it will be best for him. My backyard flock is no place for a rooster. This is what I tell myself everyday as I grow more attached to him. He's a real sweetheart so far.
697AE4A2-5343-48A6-A89F-031FAAEFADB2.jpeg

Hugs for you! The same thing happened to me.. it's so hard because the chicks trust you... Come to you for protection.. And for a reason as simple as their gender makes you take them away from the ladies they worked so hard to protect! They couldn't help they are a rooster! A friend also took my rooster. I left him take one of his beloved ladies with him, it made me feel just a little better. The next couple of days the rest of the ladies stood around in a circle, they felt his loss keenly. I get reports from him and his owner is having lots of fun. And the rest of my girls adjusted and made a new leader. In a couple weeks, come back and tells us how the adjustment went for you!... More hugs...

Hugs for you! The same thing happened to me.. it's so hard because the chicks trust you... Come to you for protection.. And for a reason as simple as their gender makes you take them away from the ladies they worked so hard to protect! They couldn't help they are a rooster! A friend also took my rooster. I left him take one of his beloved ladies with him, it made me feel just a little better. The next couple of days the rest of the ladies stood around in a circle, they felt his loss keenly. I get reports from him and his owner is having lots of fun. And the rest of my girls adjusted and made a new leader. In a couple weeks, come back and tells us how the adjustment went for you!... More hugs...
Awww thank you so much! You described how I feel perfectly!! I felt like I let him down.. just because he was a boy.. and a good boy too! I thought about having a girl go with him but then I’d only have one left so couldn’t do that but it did cross my mind! My friend updates me all the time and send me pics of him. He and their current rooster seem to be doing fine and he made a friend with a hen named Snow White. 🥰 I know I did what was best for him and I’m so thankful I had that option... most people don’t have any options. Thank you for the support 💕 I will surely report back!

Awww this is such a sweet story! Thank you! What a beautiful guy! My girls seem to be doing ok.. I’m keeping them busy with introducing the 10 week old pullets I have to them. I couldn’t do it with the rooster... he was so mean to them! My backyard flock is the same.. no place for a rooster. I kept him as long as I could and I know he will adjust at my friends house. I can visit him as well anytime! It’s easy to get attached to these critters.. people say chickens don’t have emotions..I kind of think they do! 🥰🐔 good luck with your current cockerel.. he sure is a cutie!
I just found Ned a good home today. Someone I know will be taking him, just like you. It's such a relief.

Jabber went after some pullets I had at the time as well. It happens.

Back
Top Bottom