Need a little support šŸ˜ž

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Hey friends,
Iā€™m feeling so sad and needed a little uplifting... I figured most of you could relate and help. I just rehomed my rooster and I feel so sad! I know many people donā€™t have these attachments to their chickens but I do. I keep them as pets and love them so much! I wasnā€™t planning on a rooster by any means. I only have 4 pullets and 2 of them are very young. He was an oops! Anyway, he started crowing ang becoming a bit aggressive and annoying the two older pullets I have. My neighbors werenā€™t happy with crowing and I could tell my young girls were stressed with his ā€œattentionā€. I put it off for as long as I could. Last night he was dancing around me and started to go after my feet as well. I guess that was when I realized this may not work. I fortunately have a great option. My chicken savvy friend down the street has 20 hens and a rooster. She said she will take him. I know many people donā€™t have an option like this so I feel lucky. However I am SO worried about her current rooster killing him or him being so scared and lost. One of my pullets literally ā€œcriedā€ when he left. Itā€™s heart breaking but ultimately for the best! Have any of you been through this? Did everyone bounce back ok? Including you? Hahha I guess my biggest concern is how he will feel being rehomed... or will he just be fine... girls everywhere and a huge back yard to free range... help! šŸ˜­šŸ”šŸ’•

I have never been fortunate enough to purchase or have a broody hen hatch a chick that was a roo.
I have received re-homed roosters before. So I can speak from the receiving end of things: for 6 years it was Bennie and the Hens until he passed away from a stroke and now I have Colonel. I love having my rooster and the fact they were both from flocks that had too many roosters was a plus. After Bennie died, it was hard, each member of my flock has a name, they know their name, and they respond to their names. I have many crazy stories of each one listening and reacting/doing what they are told :)
It is always tough losing a member of the flock, I'm very sorry for this! It sounds like he has a great new home and I'm glad you chose to re-home him.

Oh I am in the same boat!! I ended up with 3 chickens I thought were hens but turned out to be cockerels. Iā€™m so attached to them now I hate to give them away. But like yours, my biggest guy is starting to dance up to me now and trying to boss me around. Heā€™s been girl crazy for the hen the neighbor has and has been a handful. I hate to give him away! I love him so much. Iā€™m going to have to get rid of all of mine.

I worry about someone killing them or fighting them or them dying. I was hoping Iā€™d be able to keep them all together but it just didnā€™t work.
Awwww Iā€™m so sorry! Itā€™s good to know weā€™re not alone! šŸ˜­ Itā€™s hard when you bring these little guys up from babies to just have to let them go. Iā€™m very lucky to have a friend take him and I can visit him but I still worry about his fate...how can you not? Their current rooster could hurt him. Anyway, Iā€™m so sorry!! I suggest doing it sooner than later... ā¤ļø

Oh I am in the same boat!! I ended up with 3 chickens I thought were hens but turned out to be cockerels. Iā€™m so attached to them now I hate to give them away. But like yours, my biggest guy is starting to dance up to me now and trying to boss me around. Heā€™s been girl crazy for the hen the neighbor has and has been a handful. I hate to give him away! I love him so much. Iā€™m going to have to get rid of all of mine.

I worry about someone killing them or fighting them or them dying. I was hoping Iā€™d be able to keep them all together but it just didnā€™t work.

I have not been in this position...yet. But here are some {{Hugs}} of supportšŸ¤—šŸ¤—
Iā€™m sure he will settle in well and it will be more peaceful for everyone. And as a plus you still get to visit himšŸ˜Š
Thatā€™s true... I can visit! Iā€™m sure most chicken folks end up in this position at one time or another! ā¤ļø

Back
Top Bottom