Need a little support šŸ˜ž

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Hey friends,
Iā€™m feeling so sad and needed a little uplifting... I figured most of you could relate and help. I just rehomed my rooster and I feel so sad! I know many people donā€™t have these attachments to their chickens but I do. I keep them as pets and love them so much! I wasnā€™t planning on a rooster by any means. I only have 4 pullets and 2 of them are very young. He was an oops! Anyway, he started crowing ang becoming a bit aggressive and annoying the two older pullets I have. My neighbors werenā€™t happy with crowing and I could tell my young girls were stressed with his ā€œattentionā€. I put it off for as long as I could. Last night he was dancing around me and started to go after my feet as well. I guess that was when I realized this may not work. I fortunately have a great option. My chicken savvy friend down the street has 20 hens and a rooster. She said she will take him. I know many people donā€™t have an option like this so I feel lucky. However I am SO worried about her current rooster killing him or him being so scared and lost. One of my pullets literally ā€œcriedā€ when he left. Itā€™s heart breaking but ultimately for the best! Have any of you been through this? Did everyone bounce back ok? Including you? Hahha I guess my biggest concern is how he will feel being rehomed... or will he just be fine... girls everywhere and a huge back yard to free range... help! šŸ˜­šŸ”šŸ’•

Oh I am in the same boat!! I ended up with 3 chickens I thought were hens but turned out to be cockerels. Iā€™m so attached to them now I hate to give them away. But like yours, my biggest guy is starting to dance up to me now and trying to boss me around. Heā€™s been girl crazy for the hen the neighbor has and has been a handful. I hate to give him away! I love him so much. Iā€™m going to have to get rid of all of mine.

I worry about someone killing them or fighting them or them dying. I was hoping Iā€™d be able to keep them all together but it just didnā€™t work.

Oh I am in the same boat!! I ended up with 3 chickens I thought were hens but turned out to be cockerels. Iā€™m so attached to them now I hate to give them away. But like yours, my biggest guy is starting to dance up to me now and trying to boss me around. Heā€™s been girl crazy for the hen the neighbor has and has been a handful. I hate to give him away! I love him so much. Iā€™m going to have to get rid of all of mine.

I worry about someone killing them or fighting them or them dying. I was hoping Iā€™d be able to keep them all together but it just didnā€™t work.
Awwww Iā€™m so sorry! Itā€™s good to know weā€™re not alone! šŸ˜­ Itā€™s hard when you bring these little guys up from babies to just have to let them go. Iā€™m very lucky to have a friend take him and I can visit him but I still worry about his fate...how can you not? Their current rooster could hurt him. Anyway, Iā€™m so sorry!! I suggest doing it sooner than later... ā¤ļø

I have not been in this position...yet. But here are some {{Hugs}} of supportšŸ¤—šŸ¤—
Iā€™m sure he will settle in well and it will be more peaceful for everyone. And as a plus you still get to visit himšŸ˜Š
Thatā€™s true... I can visit! Iā€™m sure most chicken folks end up in this position at one time or another! ā¤ļø

I have never been fortunate enough to purchase or have a broody hen hatch a chick that was a roo.
I have received re-homed roosters before. So I can speak from the receiving end of things: for 6 years it was Bennie and the Hens until he passed away from a stroke and now I have Colonel. I love having my rooster and the fact they were both from flocks that had too many roosters was a plus. After Bennie died, it was hard, each member of my flock has a name, they know their name, and they respond to their names. I have many crazy stories of each one listening and reacting/doing what they are told :)
It is always tough losing a member of the flock, I'm very sorry for this! It sounds like he has a great new home and I'm glad you chose to re-home him.

I have never been fortunate enough to purchase or have a broody hen hatch a chick that was a roo.
I have received re-homed roosters before. So I can speak from the receiving end of things: for 6 years it was Bennie and the Hens until he passed away from a stroke and now I have Colonel. I love having my rooster and the fact they were both from flocks that had too many roosters was a plus. After Bennie died, it was hard, each member of my flock has a name, they know their name, and they respond to their names. I have many crazy stories of each one listening and reacting/doing what they are told :)
It is always tough losing a member of the flock, I'm very sorry for this! It sounds like he has a great new home and I'm glad you chose to re-home him.
Thank you so much for sharing your story! Bennie and the Hens šŸ¤£šŸ’•. From the receiving end... two roosters CAN get a long then? Even when one is coming in later..? That was my biggest fear... their current rooster not accepting my Roo. They seemed to have done well last night.. all stayed in the same coop with no issues. My guy laid on the floor with some younger ladies. I suppose he knows his place already! Haha! Things are much calmer here with my girls.. I even was able to finally introduce my 10 week old pullets this morning a little. I sure do miss him.. chickens are truly more special than many believe šŸ”šŸ’•

Back
Top Bottom