Need a little support 😞

I know how difficult it is to let one of your babies go! :hugs These feathered babies know how to attach themselves to our hearts and it's easy to worry over them. :hugs
That is so true. They worm their ways right into our hearts. Look at this guy. How could you not love him? We have coffee together every morning. 🥰
20200804_200446.jpg

I hear ya!

We have a roo that's the son of an oops. Daddy Maurice had to go when he got too aggressive. We hoped son Rocky would be calmer. At this point we're still figuring out if he will get the message that learning who's boss around here is not being less brave; it's more being alive!

At first our neighbors had mixed reactions to him. One family enjoys his crowing and say it helps them feel like we're living in a more natural environment. One family is OK dealing with the nuisance because we've had just good relations for 20 years (17 of which were chicken-free) and they enjoy the eggs. A third neighbor wasn't happy and wanted the crowing stopped by any means. ...until they found out that, because we were in a virulent Newcastle Disease quarantine zone, the only means possible was killing him. We were very lucky that they were good sports and found, once they got used to it, that they would live with it.

Recently, we had an offer to rehome him but it fell through. When it did I was glad because I'd actually miss his crowing. But we still have the civility/dominance thing to work out.

Roos are actually gorgeous and there's something really "complete" about having one.

I hope yours is happy in his new digs and you can enjoy visiting him from time to time. Maybe even get an occasional chick or two. Female, of course!

Hey friends,
I’m feeling so sad and needed a little uplifting... I figured most of you could relate and help. I just rehomed my rooster and I feel so sad! I know many people don’t have these attachments to their chickens but I do. I keep them as pets and love them so much! I wasn’t planning on a rooster by any means. I only have 4 pullets and 2 of them are very young. He was an oops! Anyway, he started crowing ang becoming a bit aggressive and annoying the two older pullets I have. My neighbors weren’t happy with crowing and I could tell my young girls were stressed with his “attention”. I put it off for as long as I could. Last night he was dancing around me and started to go after my feet as well. I guess that was when I realized this may not work. I fortunately have a great option. My chicken savvy friend down the street has 20 hens and a rooster. She said she will take him. I know many people don’t have an option like this so I feel lucky. However I am SO worried about her current rooster killing him or him being so scared and lost. One of my pullets literally “cried” when he left. It’s heart breaking but ultimately for the best! Have any of you been through this? Did everyone bounce back ok? Including you? Hahha I guess my biggest concern is how he will feel being rehomed... or will he just be fine... girls everywhere and a huge back yard to free range... help! 😭🐔💕

I got 7 chicks and only 2 were female I I rehomed most very young and kept 2 one very sadly died and I was devastated the other was amazing he was a star but started getting complaints about his crowing i tried everything to keep him quiet keeping him dark putting him in a confined space restricting his movement etc etc nothing worked after my neighbours that were good friends really started playing up i had to admit defeat and rehome him but he did go to an amazing home at least

Awwww I’m so sorry! It’s good to know we’re not alone! 😭 It’s hard when you bring these little guys up from babies to just have to let them go. I’m very lucky to have a friend take him and I can visit him but I still worry about his fate...how can you not? Their current rooster could hurt him. Anyway, I’m so sorry!! I suggest doing it sooner than later... ❤
Oh gosh.. I too feel for you :hit,I had a similar situation. I raised Noodle ( Brahma ) from 2 weeks and I loved him, he was sweeter than my hen, Dorothy, but as he doubled in size and became aggressive to her ,it was time. I was still in denial because at 6 months he hadn't yet crowed. In my area, however, I am only allowed hens, so I found a local rescue farm and traded him for a lovely hen. I can still feel the guilt as I put him in a cage and said goodbye.
I am hugely attached to all my pets both furry and feathered.
At least you can keep tabs on your Roo and you are blessed to have a friend to take him.

Back
Top Bottom