Need a new incubator: what should I be looking for

Justjered

Chirping
Oct 4, 2016
Galesburg, Illinois
We got a farm innovations incubator last year. Worked ok for first hatch and been junk since with single egg hatches on 3 incubation periods.

Would like to get a better quality incubator soon so we can hatch our own eggs as we have need.

I'd love a brinsea but still trying to get my wife to approve the costs. Keep looking for an octagon 20 eco but haven't found one for a price I can say can't be passed up.

Any recommendations for incubators? Would prefer autoturning if possible.

Thanks for the advice and help. And if anyone knows of a used brinsea that will hold at least a dozen if not 2 dozen eggs, please let me know.

If you're handy you can build your own with all the options you need for a fair price. My current incubator is a large cabinet incubator/hatcher combo that my wife and I built and it works great. It auto turns and controls it's own humidity. eBay and amazon carry all the supplies you would need other than the wood.

We got a farm innovations incubator last year. Worked ok for first hatch and been junk since with single egg hatches on 3 incubation periods.

Would like to get a better quality incubator soon so we can hatch our own eggs as we have need.

I'd love a brinsea but still trying to get my wife to approve the costs. Keep looking for an octagon 20 eco but haven't found one for a price I can say can't be passed up.

Any recommendations for incubators? Would prefer autoturning if possible.

Thanks for the advice and help. And if anyone knows of a used brinsea that will hold at least a dozen if not 2 dozen eggs, please let me know.
For a great functioning incubator at a reasonable price. (My wife approved the cost pretty easily)I would suggest a Hova Bator Genesis 1588. I have had great results with the one I have. Quite a few 75% hatches with shipped eggs and a couple of 100% hatches with fresh eggs. It holds temprature well and the hygrometer is pretty accurate. I also use wet and dry spirit thermometers in mine. It has auto turning and holds 40 eggs. It says 41, but one cup lets the egg come in contact with the turning motor. It is also easy to clean.

For a great functioning incubator at a reasonable price. (My wife approved the cost pretty easily)I would suggest a Hova Bator Genesis 1588. I have had great results with the one I have. Quite a few 75% hatches with shipped eggs and a couple of 100% hatches with fresh eggs. It holds temprature well and the hygrometer is pretty accurate. I also use wet and dry spirit thermometers in mine. It has auto turning and holds 40 eggs. It says 41, but one cup lets the egg come in contact with the turning motor. It is also easy to clean.
Xs 2

I highly recommend the Hovabators. I have the 1583 and love it. Holds steady temp and holds humidity well. Only styro I recommend are the Hovabators.

If you're handy you can build your own with all the options you need for a fair price. My current incubator is a large cabinet incubator/hatcher combo that my wife and I built and it works great. It auto turns and controls it's own humidity. eBay and amazon carry all the supplies you would need other than the wood.
Can you tell me the supply list you bought? My husband and I want to turn a small refrigerator into an incubator, complete with rotating trays, but we have no idea where to start or what supplies to buy. Is there another thread that has details?

Can you tell me the supply list you bought? My husband and I want to turn a small refrigerator into an incubator, complete with rotating trays, but we have no idea where to start or what supplies to buy. Is there another thread that has details?

I just use store bought turners - simple and they work.
For Temp controllers you have several options -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2RBP2X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - This one controls both temperature and humidity. The Pros are it's cheap (unsually 10 to 15 bucks) and it has both functions built in. It's also adjustable to the tenth of a degree and the options are fairly easy to figure out. It has a high temp alarm. Can read in Celsius and Fahrenheit. The cons are the readouts for the temp side bounce up and down about a half a degree which is a bit annoying. Finding a manual for it is almost impossible but I have one around here somewhere.
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-...id=1496069494&sr=8-4&keywords=temp+controller - This one is called an STC1000 it is a PID controller. It is branded under SEVERAL company names but most commonly under Inkbird and WilHi. The pros are tons of documentation (probably the most used). Reliable, they are usually good quality. They make your project look more finished. You can find a humidity controller that matches them pretty close. reads both celsius or farienheit Affordable (usually 15 to 20 bucks). You can calibrate the readout if its off a bit. Available pretty much everywhere. The cons are you can only adjust in 1 degree increments (though it does read in tenths). Only controls temperature.
https://www.amazon.com/diymore-Digi...id=1496070210&sr=8-9&keywords=temp+controller - the pros cheap (3 to 5 bucks). Solid readout doesn't bounce. reliable. easy to install. the cons - cheap relays. only reads in centigrade. Confusing settings menu. Fairly hard to find documentation (i have a manual for these as well but the manual is somewhat confusing as well). Only controls temp.

The links I sent for the temp controllers are just for example, If you dig around a bit you can probably get a better deal on any of these. There are many other controllers all have advantages and dis-advantages. The best ones are the higher end incubator controllers like incubator warehouse sells but you will pay for them.

any of the controller above will also need an ssr - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1LC1VK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 they're pretty easy to hook up so no big deal there.

for humidity you can buy a kit (usually expensive) or you can build one using a pond mister - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PAK245E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 In this link I always buy the silver one without lights. the black ones are plastic and too light (they seem to want to float a bit.) I will get you a drawing of my humidity set-up if you're interested.

You will also need a set of computer fans - size and kind will depend on your incubator but I like to use 120mm. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KB8CB9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 These fans are good because they come in a four pack and they are CHEAP. The bad news they are CHEAP. So far I haven't had one quit me but even new they seem a bit weak. Before you wire them up, do some reasearch. these are 3 pin and if you hook them up wrong, you will smoke them. Just a side note - I only used these in my first build and they still work in that incubator but I quit using them because I don't trust them.

Let me know if I forgot anything and I will let you know what I use. All of the things I listed can probably be found cheaper if you look around.

Back
Top Bottom