Need a rooster. Confused! Please help.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mschickiemama, Feb 15, 2012.

1. mschickiemama

mschickiemama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    Should I buy this rooster? He's originally from a feed store and the guy says he's an Americauna. He doesn't look like it to me. Is he an easter egger? Does the feed store misname their chickens? Also, the guy says he is approx. 20 weeks , heavy boned, and almost twice the weight of his sisters. Is this a good thing in a rooster? I've never had a rooster before and need help from the experts out there! Would a heavy rooster hurt my hens with the weight?

[​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    He looks like a Speckled Sussex to me. You are correct that if he came from a feed store, he wouldn't be an Americauna - they are serviced for the most part by hatcheries who only have Easter Eggers.

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    X2 and also that bird looks older than 20wks. Think the guy at the feed store is either misinformed or trying to get rid of a it by giving you a spiel. Heavy boned? Does this guy got x-ray eyes? Depending on the breed most times the rooster will weigh from 1-3 pounds more than the hen, unless the rooster is full grown and hens are still young pullets. Twice the size sounds a little sketchy to me.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  4. mschickiemama

Oct 6, 2011
    Does the feed store make mistakes? He does look like a speckled sussex.

5. mschickiemama

Oct 6, 2011
    Maybe it's just an awkward picture. I don't know what to do.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Oh my goodness, yes! Sometimes you get lucky and have someone at a feed store who actually knows a little about poultry but more often than not, they know very little.

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    That's a Speckled Sussex rooster that appears under 6 months old. He looks good to me. The most I would pay for him is $10. He's pretty but in no part an EE nor an Ameraucana.

8. mschickiemama

Oct 6, 2011
    The guy wants 14 bucks...

9. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I would offer him $6 bucks, if he says no turn around and walk out. If he says ok $10, tell him $8 and not a dime more. Simply because its not what he said it is.

10. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    well what did you decide.............. my experience, i raise my roos from chicks, that way my kids maul them for 6 months.... haven't had a mean roo yet... they see a kid, they either lay down or run!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by