Need a rooster. Confused! Please help.

mschickiemama

Songster
11 Years
Oct 6, 2011
Should I buy this rooster? He's originally from a feed store and the guy says he's an Americauna. He doesn't look like it to me. Is he an easter egger? Does the feed store misname their chickens? Also, the guy says he is approx. 20 weeks , heavy boned, and almost twice the weight of his sisters. Is this a good thing in a rooster? I've never had a rooster before and need help from the experts out there! Would a heavy rooster hurt my hens with the weight?

He looks like a Speckled Sussex to me. You are correct that if he came from a feed store, he wouldn't be an Americauna - they are serviced for the most part by hatcheries who only have Easter Eggers.

He looks like a Speckled Sussex to me. You are correct that if he came from a feed store, he wouldn't be an Americauna - they are serviced for the most part by hatcheries who only have Easter Eggers.
X2 and also that bird looks older than 20wks. Think the guy at the feed store is either misinformed or trying to get rid of a it by giving you a spiel. Heavy boned? Does this guy got x-ray eyes? Depending on the breed most times the rooster will weigh from 1-3 pounds more than the hen, unless the rooster is full grown and hens are still young pullets. Twice the size sounds a little sketchy to me.

Last edited:
That's a Speckled Sussex rooster that appears under 6 months old. He looks good to me. The most I would pay for him is $10. He's pretty but in no part an EE nor an Ameraucana.

I would offer him $6 bucks, if he says no turn around and walk out. If he says ok $10, tell him $8 and not a dime more. Simply because its not what he said it is.

well what did you decide.............. my experience, i raise my roos from chicks, that way my kids maul them for 6 months.... haven't had a mean roo yet... they see a kid, they either lay down or run!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom