Need a rooster for my flock... which breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by noitulover, May 8, 2009.

1. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    When all the chicks are grown up, I should have about 10-12 hens in my current coop.

We have a chick that I thought might feared might be a roo, but people on here are saying pullet...

so if i end up with all hens, i am going to need a rooster!

any opinions on which breed are the nicest?? (i don't have a lot of experience with roos)

i was thinking possibly salmon faverolles or black copper marans?

2. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Well you know this is going to be a matter of opinion [​IMG] What's great about it is that you'll get many ideas.

My most docile and friendly is a RIR, followed by a buff orpington.

My most aggressive ones were araucana or araucana mixes. It never failed, they were my worst.

3. RedHead

RedHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    East Lake, NC
    Whereabouts are you located? I have and extra RIR roo and he's a sweetie
    Hubby and I were gonna cull him because he's not growing as quickly as my other 2 are and he's got a ring of 'smut' around his neck, I think it's pretty, but it's not exactly what you want for breeding from what I've read. And he's got a crooked comb, it's kinda like an elvis curl or something lol But he's also the one that I let myself get attached to, his name is Ricky Bobby and he is a goof and a sweetheart. If I can, I'd like to see him go to a good home, but so far it's been looking like he's gonna be dinner. He's 16wks old now and my big boy has started picking on him.

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I have an Araucanas roo and he is sweet as pie and a breeder I know said that they are all generally sweet I think EE roos are nasty but it really is the individual roo.

I know someone on BYC in NJ looking to unload 2 Black Cooper Maran roos (young) if you are interested, I have a few from the wade Jeanne Line as well for sale also and can ship I also have Araucana roos and Ameracauna roos available [​IMG]

5. noitulover

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Quote:i'm in VA, around the Richmond City area. He sounds sweet!

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    What breed are your chicks?

7. RedHead

RedHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    East Lake, NC
    [​IMG]

There's a pic of him, its about a week old but you can see what I mean about the smut and the comb lol
    ETA: I just talked to my hubby and he said he's kinda looking forward to having some fresh rooster but if you want him we can work something out

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  8. chickenguysmom

chickenguysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a friend who has a farm and raises chickens, so when we ended up with a rooster we rehomed him to the farm. They liked him so much they ended up getting rid of their roosters and keeping him.

He was eventually killed by a coon in a late night sneek attack. They recently bought a male chick of that same breed because they thought he was so great.

The breed.........

Salmon Faverolle!

9. noitulover

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    i've heard so many good things about the salmon faverolles roosters!

i'm tempted to get a few eggs and try my hand at hatching and keep a roo!

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Breeds where the roos have a BAD reputation:

RIR
    New Hampshire
    Plymouth Rocks
    Asil
    d'uccle

Breeds where the roos have a GOOD reputation:

Brahma
    Silkie
    Marans
    Faverolles
    Modern Game

There are always individual exceptions to both lists, but if you have kids, you really shouldn't get a rooster from the bad reputation list unless you can absolutely keep the kids and birds separated .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by