Need a rooster whisperer

freerange freaks

Songster
12 Years
Jul 21, 2007
Ontario, Canada
This is my first time with a rooster. I'm not sure if he's in love with me or if he's sizing me up. I don't understand his behaviour.

He is 5 months old and is starting to becoming interested in the ladies. He kind of purrs at them while he walks sideways up to them and then grabs them by the back of the neck. I took this as some sort of mating ritual. Now when he sees me coming, he purrs and puffs up (not hackles up) and walks side ways up to me. I'm not sure if this is a warning or if he wants to show me some affection.

What do I do with him?

When he does that, pick him up and hold him awhile. He'll eventually stop. He's not being aggressive, he's "courting" you.
wink.png

He's showing mating behavior with the pullets and he's trying to court you too. Though others may not agree with me I say shoo him away, stomp your feet, flap your arms, make noise. You want a rooster that is good with the girls, but gives you a wide berth.

I'm not an expert (my rooster is 4.5 months old now), but I think he's flirting with you as well! I would guess he is used to you as being "part of his flock" and will treat you as he does all the ladies?

I agree with Chickengurl. Your roo needs to respect you as alpha chicken. If he is allowed to court you he will feel like he can correct your behavior like he would another flock member. So... carry him, shoo him, whatever - just let him know he doesn't own you. You own him.

Thank you for all of the advise. I will make sure this fella knows I'm not on the market. The behaviour is kinda funny but I'm sure it leads to no good. So I will nip it in the butt as per the experts!

Actually we have one on BYC..his name is Lee (Rooster Red) resident whisperer/expert on rooster behavior..wonder where he's been lately? I think there is a page of tips in the archives about agressive roosters...

jnjross... so you don't think he has any cross species fetish? He's just plain aggressive. How mean can he get? The other rooster I have is twice the size and he doesn't come within 10 feet of me. How much damage can a territorial rooster actually do?

Back
Top Bottom