Need a solar power expert here:

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wegotchickens, Aug 6, 2009.

1. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I checked into wind power and figured that It would be too long before I could even break even. I'm on a hill and we pretty much always have wind here.

2. muddstopper

muddstopper Songster

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Think outside the box a little. All you really need is a heat source and some light to see by. Instead of trying to run 60 or 100 watt lightbulbs, go with a solar collector to heat water. All you need is some tubing, a garden hose will work, a storage tank, an old hot water heater for that, some LED lighting and one of those small solar panels like is used to open automatic gates. You will also need a little ingenuity to plumb the tubing so as to regulate the heat, a small DC water pump to flow the water, and some sort of thermostat to cut the pump off when the temps get in their correct ranges. Solar heated hot water can get up to 180degrees in a properly designed system and is stored in your storage tank. We can get 130degrees on overcast days in Dec. The thermostat is placed in the incubator, as it already should be, and cuts the pump off and on as the temperature rises and falls. The solar panel supplies electricty for the small pump as well as the LED lighting and circulating fans, but you will need a battery backup for nighttimes and rainy days.

What I have suggested should work, but might take a little fiddleing with to get just right. It can greatly reduce the amount of electricity you would need to generate to run the incubators and brooders as well as lighting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: