Need advice - 2 RIR's

Htwo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 5, 2018
SWMO, Nixa
I currently have 2 Rhode Island red hens and only one lays eggs. The other one hasn't laid in months. Both are about 3 years old. I just built a new coop and LOVE it and want a flock of 6 hens. My issues:

1) Do I keep the hen that's not laying, or cull her?
2) Do I get chicks, and try to separate them from the two (or one) hens inside the new coop I just built?
3) Do I cull both hens I currently have and get 6 chicks and start over?

I would prefer to just get chicks and start over.. I just don't know if I should try to keep the one laying hen that I have.. She's a reliable layer and I hate to just give her up, but I also don't know how she'll do with new chicks? HELP please!

There's no wrong way or right way to expand your flock, but there are more than one option. So you should do what you want to do.

Culling the non-layer is an option, and so is rehoming the laying hen. Go ahead and get that accomplished. Then start thinking about what breeds of chicks you want. It appears that is the plan you'd like to go with if you feel it fits.

I'd ethier keep them both and get a few more laying chickens or rehome both of the RIR and just get more chickens! It would be quite stressful for the laying chicken if you rehome/cull the non layer even if you get more chickens without her buddy she can get beat up since she'll be the one that "didn't come from the younger group"

I don't know if the hen that is not laying quit for the winter and is getting ready to lay like gangbusters with spring approaching or if she has laid her last egg. That's not an easy decision. No guarantees either way.

It sounds like you have two coops, not sure how you are set up for runs. Not sure what your plans are for brooding those chicks. Integrating chicks with adult hens can be challenging, especially if room in the run is limited. You can integrate them but it could take some work. You'd need to separate them for a while which means feeding and watering in two places, maybe with different feed, plus cleaning and maintaining two coops.

The easiest thing for you would be to get rid of those two and start new chicks but it will be a while before you get any more eggs. It's your decision.

There really isn't a "right" answer. Are you (or your family, kids) attached to the 2 you already have? If you decide to keep them, do you realistically have the space and set up to allow for integration (photos of entire set up would help if you're not sure)?

My plans always have included keeping retired layers, but that is not practical for everyone.

Do what you want, don't feel guilty. I do think that you could re-home laying hens, be honest, that one is not laying at this time. She could start laying with the longer days. And then get the chicks you want.

It sounds like you have two coops, not sure how you are set up for runs.
This^^^ is what I was wondering.

@Htwo how big is the new coop, in feet by feet?
Do you have a run too?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

You've gotten great feedback on your options, but it's up to you.
Has the one RIR ever laid?

Thanks for all the replies! I do have two coops, both connect to the outdoor run, but I plan on taking the old one out. It's just really ugly, falling apart and right by our house. It's also pretty small. I could probably use it in some way, but I just want it gone. The new coop is 6'x4.5' inside a 10x10 shed and connects to the outdoor run with a cute little chicky runway.

I found a neighbor who has a flock of 11 hens that took my 2 last night. They will be able to free range and probably be much happier! Now my thoughts are bouncing between buying chicks or pullets - as I don't really WANT to wait 5 months for eggs, and I have enough to do without having to worry about raising chicks, too.. But I do want to be able to handle them, and darn it.. chicks are just so cute!

Back
Top Bottom