Need advice about abandoned rooster (PIC)

jbowyer01

Just Me!
14 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Hogansville, Georgia
Okay I'm not sure if this is were this should to be posted but I'm at my wits end! We have a beautiful rooster that has adopted us (at least the other side of our fence). We asked around our neighborhood about him and we are in the understanding that the gentleman that owned him is incarcerated. The family has moved and this guy was left behind. Now having said that, I feel bad for the guy but I am unable to keep him. He is some kind of leghorn mix I believe (he has white legs) he is beautiful but my chickens are all bantams and I have a feeling this guy was used for purposes that are not allowed to be discussed here on BYC (gotta follow those rules
wink.png
) His comb has been removed, he also has HUGE (and I mean HUGE!) spurs! I am worried about him getting into my yard so I have kept my little bantam hens and roo in their covered run, they are not happy but I know this guy could hurt or even kill my gentle little roo. If he comes in my yard should I try to get him into a cage (dog kennel) and find him a home or just see if someone wants to catch him and they can take him home. Shooting him is not an answer (residential area, and I would feel really bad) and calling our dog catcher is out also (they are worthless, in fact they bring dogs to me so I can rehome them). Can anyone give me some advice and I'm sorry for the long post.

here is a pic
15098_lost_and_found_roo_002.jpg

15098_lost_and_found_roo_001.jpg

He's mighty purty.

The SPCA or ASPCA or even the local county extension for animal control will take him.

If worse comes to worse, just get him processed and stick him in your freezer.

Quote:
That's what I was thing about- maybe you can make a separate pen and give him a chance to be a happy but lonely roo for the rest of his days? That way he can't hurt the Banties, and you may be able to rehome him eventually via Craig's List. That's where I got my EE roo.

He looks like a game and he probably would hurt you little rooster. If you decided to keep him - just keep him separated and give him one of your little hens- He more than likely won't hurt her. You might also go over at night with a flashlight if you know where he roosts and catch him. But be careful of those spurs!! He's a beauty for sure!!
And by the way - Game banty crosses are awesome!!

Last edited:
You might try to catch him and post him on Craigslist. If anyone is interested you could warn them that he may have to be the only roo or seperate cause you aren't sure of his past.

Thanks everyone, he just seems to be so sad. I think he's blind in one eye also (he actually let me get close to him today). I will talk with my DH and we will see what we can do. Those spurs sure do scare me!

I have a similiar problem and don't want my purebreds being mated by a stray roo. But the boy has no hens in his own yard and the owner dissapears for weeks at a time. Thinking about rehoming him.

My experience with chickens is limited so seeing this guy and those spurs well its kinda intimidating. How in the world would I catch him without getting hurt?

Back
Top Bottom