1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice about how to get chicks to use rabbit waterer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lbartsch, Jul 11, 2011.

1. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    I put a rabbit waterer in the brooder to hopefully cut down on having to clean pine shavings and poop out of the water (and not waste so much water). I had tried elevating the waterer but the clever 2 1/2 week old girls really kick up those shavings so it still gets dirty.

Trouble is, they aren't trying the waterer out. They look at it but won't peck at it. I tried to show them to peck it by pecking it with my finger and then showing them the drips on my finger. No luck in getting them to try it yet though. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I just have to say too that I really appreciate this forum and all the support I've had from it.

I am loving having chickens nad couldn't get through it without you guys. Big hug of thanks from Oakland, CA!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Maybe you could gently push the ball back and then put their beak to it? Like you would dip a new chicks beak. Maybe if they get a little water with your help they'll figure it out. I used a gallon sized ice cream container to raise my waterer up. I just put an appropriate sized rock in front so they would have a step if they needed it. It kept the water nice and clean. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  3. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Thanks for the advice! I dipped their beaks in the rabbit waterer tip today and kind of made them peck it (very very gently). They didn't seem to get it but I'll keep trying. I'm keeping their old waterer in there too but not cleaning it 4 times a day like usual. I;m hoping maybe they'll figure out the water in the rabbit waterer tastes better? Tried putting some fresh grass around there too hoping they'd peck it by accident. Nope.

4. AnnieAlbright

AnnieAlbright Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Monmouth County, NJ
    Our 6 chicks are about the same age as yours. I put the rabbit waterer in a few days ago and they pecked at it because it's shiny. I pressed their beaks to the ball bearing so the water would drip and they took to it right away after that. We kept the other water dish in just in case, but they hardly used it since the new one was put in. We have removed the always-dirty dish and they love the clean, fun rabbit waterer. [​IMG] Good Luck!

5. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I've used them in my brooder and if you remove the other traditional waterer and then slightly squeeze the rabbit water bottle and have a drip dangling they will usually go for it and that will be all you have to do, mine have always seemed to figure it out very quickly.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by