Need Advice about torn vent

traceyjean2006

Hatching
May 7, 2022
I’ve been reading and trying to do all the things but I am not sure if I’m still fixing issue. I have a 2 year Dominique Hen. She must have had either an infection or a vent issue and the chickens noticed the blood and pulled feathers etc on Easter. Which was obviously several weeks ago. We separated her immediately. Hubby sprayed peroxide daily on her butt, it seemed that when we sprayed she pooped green poo but it wasn’t stinky…and we watered and fed her as usual….not realizing we shouldn’t have been feeding her quite yet etc to give butt a rest. She started producing eggs again. I thought we’d put her back in with flock. Her feathers were coming back in etc. we sprayed blue to cover the bare redness of her skin and introduced her back at night. Next morning, early I went to check and the chickens were still smelling something on her butt that was off and had picked off the blue alittle produced a smudge of blood. I removed her before it got at all bad like before. She was still giving us an egg each day and then BAM blow out again! As in, lots of blood and bloody egg and prolapse vent on top and bottom. Read a lot. Soaked her Epson salt a long time this morning and was able to remove the grey dead tissue or maybe poop stuck but it was ALOT on bottom of vent. I tried to push in the top but I think it may be dead tissue still too. Then I put on preparation h and then an hr ago I read that is bad for it. So then I went back up peroxide and it fizzes a lot whenever we spray her butt area. I just don’t know. I’m realizing we were doing it all wrong. But she acts completely fine! She loves to talk and eat and drink and run around pen. So now I have her in our shed under a tarp. But first I let her stay outside to air dry. I don’t let her eat for 24 hrs and I’m gonna try to keep her in sleep mode to stop laying eggs and give her butt a break. Any other suggestions that don’t involve going to a vet? She isn’t a pet. But she seems completely fine except for her tore up red butt!!

Pics of my chicken

Attachments

• 9D70517C-57C5-4C49-993E-DD906A4042A3.jpeg
    9D70517C-57C5-4C49-993E-DD906A4042A3.jpeg
    476.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 1BAA4A47-0265-41F5-9718-2183D151C6A0.jpeg
    1BAA4A47-0265-41F5-9718-2183D151C6A0.jpeg
    996.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 26890DBA-E2AE-411C-9330-DF76FF18190F.jpeg
    26890DBA-E2AE-411C-9330-DF76FF18190F.jpeg
    558.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DB668513-4D0C-4BFB-8757-9A20AD83A31A.jpeg
    DB668513-4D0C-4BFB-8757-9A20AD83A31A.jpeg
    626.6 KB · Views: 12
I hope someone comes along to help you soon. But thought I would say I think using peroxide may not be the best thing. Do you have any Vetericyn spray?
I did put a chicken antiseptic spray on it as well but it doesn’t bubble or anything. Is peroxide not good for chickens?

Update on chicken prolapse vent. I had her in the dark in the shed all day. Took her out at 5pm. To soak in epson salt. Saw she had pooped broken egg and lots of little shells. I put my finger 3 times in her vent and can’t feel anything at all. I don’t think her torn vent will go back in, until the sores on top of her vent go away. I put honey even but I keeps popping out like hemorrhoids.

I did put a chicken antiseptic spray on it as well but it doesn’t bubble or anything. Is peroxide not good for chickens?
Hydrogen peroxide is fine for initial cleaning of a wound, but it delays healing if you use it daily. Try to keep her in the dark for all but a few hours a day, so she will stop laying. Keep the vent moist and keep putting it back in. Honey has antibacterial and healing properties so that can help. It can attract ants and flies though. It might be better if you can keep her inside, maybe in a dog crate? Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom