Ive never experienced a vent gleet, but i did deal with an infected foot. what we did was give our chicken a warm bath with epsomsalts and lavender in it. that may help relieve some of the stress and any inflammation.
Hello Theredneckrunner, thank you for your suggestions! :)

Hello RoyalChick, thank you so much for your reply! Would athlete’s foot cream/antifungal work? How would i apply it? Topically or orally?
I would use any antifungal cream (check it has an ingredient that ends in 'azole' - like miconazole and does NOT have pain killers included as they can be toxic to chickens).
I would definitely apply it to the area around her vent. But some sources I have read say you should also give it orally as the yeast infection can be systemic not just local.
Using antifungal cream orally is also what you do for sour crop so it isn't quite as weird as it sounds!

But I am really, really not an expert - @casportpony is someone I trust on dosing things like this.

I would use any antifungal cream (check it has an ingredient that ends in 'azole' - like miconazole and does NOT have pain killers included as they can be toxic to chickens).
I would definitely apply it to the area around her vent. But some sources I have read say you should also give it orally as the yeast infection can be systemic not just local.
Using antifungal cream orally is also what you do for sour crop so it isn't quite as weird as it sounds!

But I am really, really not an expert - @casportpony is someone I trust on dosing things like this.
Hello again RoyalChick, for more clarification, the picture of the cream that i have is below. Would this work?

Attachments

• IMG_2818.jpeg
    IMG_2818.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 2
Hello again RoyalChick, for more clarification, the picture of the cream that i have is below. Would this work?
Hmmm. I don't know. I probably wouldn't use that. I am sure it is an effective anti-fungal but I have no idea if it is toxic to birds.
Whereas there is lots of experience of drugs like miconazole to say thy are very safe for chickens.
The antifungals with 'azole' are readily available in pharmacies in the US and many other countries so I would get a tube of one of those instead.

Hmmm. I don't know. I probably wouldn't use that. I am sure it is an effective anti-fungal but I have no idea if it is toxic to birds.
Whereas there is lots of experience of drugs like miconazole to say thy are very safe for chickens.
The antifungals with 'azole' are readily available in pharmacies in the US and many other countries so I would get a tube of one of those instead.
Hello again RoyalChick, thank you so much! You are very informative! :)

I treated a hen for sour crop recently with generic miconazole which is a vaginal cream to treat yeast infections. It is safe to give orally.
Have your chickens been wormed lately? I’m not familiar with vent gleet but when I start seeing messy butts it’s usually time for worming.

I treated a hen for sour crop recently with generic miconazole which is a vaginal cream to treat yeast infections. It is safe to give orally.
Have your chickens been wormed lately? I’m not familiar with vent gleet but when I start seeing messy butts it’s usually time for worming.
Hello Sequel, my chickens have not been wormed yet. I will definitely be trying out the cream.

Back
Top Bottom