Need advice-dog clipping- coat too thick

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
I am on my 3rd clipper. 2 Oster A5's and one heavy duty Andis with 2 speeds. My dog is an American Eskimo (aka: Spitz or kindof a Miniature Samoyed). I just can't find a clipper that will go thru that undercoat layer. It's too thick for anything I've tried. There's got to be some clipper out there that can go thru that like butter. Help!

I recomend you call the local vets (who sometimes groom dogs) and the local dog groomer to find out what they like the best. We've used goat clippers when I was a kid, but I can't remember the brand.

Good luck. Buy something with an extended warranty.

I have a very curly golden doodle that beats any dog I ever saw to keep brushed and clipped. I bought an oster A5 and it only works well with the base blade (a #10.) I do take scissors and cut the hair to about 1 inch, then clip him and that seems to work well. The groomer does that also when I take him in.

What blade are you using (30, 10, 7, 7F, etc.)? And how often are you sharpening your blades? Dogs with thick coats like that can dull a blade pretty fast. Sometimes it can take 2 fresh blades just to get the job done.

Your clippers may actually be fine, and it is the blades that are the problem. The groomers I have worked personally with at the vet have used the same clippers for years and years, and they groom around 30 dogs A DAY. And the clinic clippers used for surgical and wound shaving last forever, too... You just have to take care of the clippers with minor maintenance and swap blades out whenever they get dull. Let them cool off when they get hot, don't keep pushing them.

This last pair was a brand new Andis with a #10 blade.

Maybe I should cut her hair down before I clip. Aside from her back and sides , which are the thickest, the clippers work fine in the thinner areas. My husband wants to try sheep shears, so if that fails, I may have to contact a groomer .

wyoDreamer, she pants all the time. She's 16 years old. We have shaved her in the past, maybe the few earlier times, the coat was not as thick. But, she's an indoor dog, never left out. And we need to clip her for hygienic reasons, she's incontinent and the hair gets smelly. She can't be bathed often with all that hair needing to dry, and gets quite nasty if someone tries to brush her. We're just trying to keep her clean and odorless in the easiest way possible for her.

I would buy at least a couple blades of whatever size you prefer. I personally like a 7F over a 10 because it leaves a little more coat on them, and cuts through the thick hair with a little more ease.

Whenever a blade starts to feel hot to the touch, swap it out for a cool blade. Before you detach the hot blade, spray some lube (see not below about lube) on it and run it for a few seconds.

Whenever the clipper motor gets warm, stop for a bit and let it cool.

Whenever the blade stops gliding through the hair, lubricate it (use a clipper lube like Kool Lube, NOT WD-40). If lubricating and/or cleaning it doesn't help, then consider it dulled and set it to the side. Don't use it again until it gets sharpened.

Read your clipper's manual, especially the parts about lubricating the motor. Some motors need to be lubed, some don't.

Blades also need to be kept clean. While in use, there is blade cleaner that you can dip the blades in while attached to the clippers and running. It helps dislodge all the gunk trapped in them. But you'll also want to occasionally dissassemble the entire blade apparatus and clean it well. DO NOT let it soak in water, ever, because it will start to rust. Be sure to dry it immediately after you wash it, and lube it, too.

There are traveling blade sharpeners in most areas. They usually charge $5-$10 per blade to sharpen them. You can find them by calling local grooming places or vet clinics to ask who sharpens their blades. Generally, the sharpeners won't come to you unless you have a BUNCH of blades, but most will tell you where you can meet them to have your blades done. (Meet them at a local vet clinic or grooming facility) Most places continue to sharpen blades until they will no longer hold an edge or get damaged. It is cheaper than constantly purchasing new blades.....

Oster A5's are an excellent clipper, and should easily be able to handle the task of shaving one dog for many, many years.

I think that a 7 would be better. I think I would have more luck with a blade that leaves the hair longer, in that way, not cutting into the thickest of the thick stuff.

Thanks for the explanation.
I had a Husky and she always had a kiddie pool to soak her feet in when it was hot out. Since that is where dogs sweat from, being able to wade in a pool of water and a shady place was all she needed to keep cool in Wisconsin summers - 90 to 103 degrees with 80%+ humidity. this won't work with an indoor dog though :)

Finally got my dog clipped. My DH bought a sheep shearer. It's really loud but the dog is deaf. This thing cuts thru her coat. I can finish her off with the Andis clipper.

Hope this helps someone!

Back
Top Bottom